• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Forged Internals?

bergilong

Reaction score
I've got a '94 ranger and I want to make it go a little faster. The first thing that comes to mind is to turbo it. Does my engine have forged internals so I can actually run some boost or do I have to get a different engine? Thanks for your time.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Everything but the pistons is capable of handling around 300hp, the pistons are good for a fair amount if you keep it from pinging but being 9:1 and cast most people say to limit it to 5psi max, and you'll probably want bigger injectors to get that far

bergilong

Reaction score
So if I put some forged pistons in it I should be able to make some good power? Thanks again.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
It's not exactly that easy. Putting normal ford turbo pistons into a ranger engine drops the compression a considerable amount down to around 8 to 1 from what I understand. Your better off just buying aftermarket forged pistons with around a 8.7-9.0 final CR ratio after taking your cylinder head and rods into consideration. Your other option is to just buy a turbo long block which is what most do.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Forged pistons of any sort are $$$, there's some circle track forged pistons out there for reasonable money but they apparently aren't recommended for forced induction

bergilong

Reaction score
If I were to put a turbo 2.3 in it, I'd just buy a turbo long block. I think I'm just gonna put a 5.0 in it.

vinsonp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
im looking to turbo my 1990 2.3l ranger and ive found a set of forged pistons i think might work --->https://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-ic946-020/overview/make/ford , if i can get these to fit with the addition of brown top injectors, a ebay turbo kit and a few sensors i could boost it but im thinking i might need a turbo coupe ECU? if i cant get mine flashed? or remapped? or whatever but i am concerned about a transmission if i plan on running moderate boost im not sure what could swap in behind the 2.3 and keep me 4x4 while holding up to say 200-250hp

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If manual the M5OD is very reasonable, mine is making some noise but I've only changed bearings and synchro's and the trans has well over 300k on the clock...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals