• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger box question

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi.... I bought a decent rust free Ranger box for my 2004 Ranger. Everyday I have worked on it for four hours and have the underside completely done now. It is undercoated and my son helped me turn the box right side up and I have been sanding at least two hours on it for the last four days. Boring, but going well. As I was sanding I came across some numbers stamped into the box in the front I believe. I tried to find a website where I could decode these numbers but nothing makes sense. Does anybody know of a site that I could use to decode these? Thanks....

YL549900374

01 11 F8

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The first number is an engineering number… it’s basically a part design number used by Ford to keep track of a stamping or casting before it’s fully assembled into a sellable or assembly line ready part.

The second number is a date code. Date codes on stamped parts usually aren’t based off the actual date stamp, but instead based on changes in the stamping dies. (F8 in Ford talk means ‘98.)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford Part number decoder: https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/how-to-decode-ford-part-numbers/
Prefix numbers

Ford changed the "year" and "model" designations in 1999
Prior to 1999 "year" was 2 digits, "model" 1 digit
D = 1970's
E = 1980's
F = 1990's but only up to 1998,
1991 = F1
1998 = F8
1999 = X
2000 = Y
2001 = 1

Prior to 1999 Ranger model = 7
1999 and up Ranger = L5

First 4 digits have the Date, Model and Department, that didn't change

YL54
"2000" "Ranger" "Vehicle Center 4"

9900374 I only find this "part number" as part of a bed not the whole bed?

Yes, 01 11 F8 would be a date code, but for "design" of the part, not the year it was made or the year it was installed
Could be Jan. 11th or Nov. 1st, but for sure 1998(F8)

Same as Y = 2000, that's not the year the part was made or year of vehicle it is for, its just the first Year that design was used

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning! I am tired of grinding rust off the frame. The box I bought has been completely refurbished. There is no rust. The underside has been undercoated, I spent a week on some minor cosmetic blemishes and repainted the entire box. I finally put in the bed liner coating. It is ready to go on the 2004 Ranger. A friend helped me lift off the old bed and it was worse than I thought. There was no use trying to sell it so I have a "scrapper" coming to get it. I am going to try to install the "new" box on the frame next week but I do have some questions for anybody who has installed a different/new box on their Ranger.

If you look at the red square in the picture you will see a crossmember. I can make some guesses but wonder if anybody has researched this enough to provide an answer. Simply, the box basically has six bolts that screw into blind fasteners. The blind fasteners are in good shape and I was able to remove the six bolts and I should be able to re-use them. Now, for this crossmember. On the passenger side the crossmember has some deterioration. From what I have researched, this is where Rangers generally rust through on the box. I spent $40 on a patch panel and fixed my old rusted out area two years ago on the old box I removed and have talked to several guys around here who have the rusted out area in the exact same place. As I looked at this crossmember, it seemed to have some kind of "material" like a gasket but it was so far gone that I could NOT tell what it was. I went out to the old box I removed, and measured 14.5 inches back from the two front mounting holes and think I have it figured out somewhat. The crossmember is to protect the gas tank??? and had some kind of gasket material to prevent squeaking???? and the gasket material laid in this "trough" and the new box has a corresponding crossmember that sits in this trough when it is installed? Thinking out loud here....

Is this gasket material inside this trough responsible for holding moisture that eventually rusted through the box in the exact same area????

I need to probably replace this gasket but, like I said, it was so far "gone" that I have no idea what I should use if anything. They also have two "pads" on the front of the box that are glued in place and this is to prevent the box from hitting the back of the cab I think.... Is it the same type of material?

My thinking is to cut and place/glue a gasket like insulation material in trough before setting the new box in place. What comes to mind is the insulation we installed under new carpeting on many past projects that has always worked out well..... Here is a link to that at Menards...

Is this what I should be doing? Suggestions/advice appreciated.....

And a PS... is there anything else/complications, I should anticipate setting this new box in place? It looks pretty straight forward and intuitive but I generally over think tasks like this.... In particular, should there be some kind of plumber's rubber gasket where the box sits on the six perches to prevent squeaking? or is that not an issue.....

Again... thanks.....

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good morning! I am tired of grinding rust off the frame. The box I bought has been completely refurbished. There is no rust. The underside has been undercoated, I spent a week on some minor cosmetic blemishes and repainted the entire box. I finally put in the bed liner coating. It is ready to go on the 2004 Ranger. A friend helped me lift off the old bed and it was worse than I thought. There was no use trying to sell it so I have a "scrapper" coming to get it. I am going to try to install the "new" box on the frame next week but I do have some questions for anybody who has installed a different/new box on their Ranger.

If you look at the red square in the picture you will see a crossmember. I can make some guesses but wonder if anybody has researched this enough to provide an answer. Simply, the box basically has six bolts that screw into blind fasteners. The blind fasteners are in good shape and I was able to remove the six bolts and I should be able to re-use them. Now, for this crossmember. On the passenger side the crossmember has some deterioration. From what I have researched, this is where Rangers generally rust through on the box. I spent $40 on a patch panel and fixed my old rusted out area two years ago on the old box I removed and have talked to several guys around here who have the rusted out area in the exact same place. As I looked at this crossmember, it seemed to have some kind of "material" like a gasket but it was so far gone that I could NOT tell what it was. I went out to the old box I removed, and measured 14.5 inches back from the two front mounting holes and think I have it figured out somewhat. The crossmember is to protect the gas tank??? and had some kind of gasket material to prevent squeaking???? and the gasket material laid in this "trough" and the new box has a corresponding crossmember that sits in this trough when it is installed? Thinking out loud here....

Is this gasket material inside this trough responsible for holding moisture that eventually rusted through the box in the exact same area????

I need to probably replace this gasket but, like I said, it was so far "gone" that I have no idea what I should use if anything. They also have two "pads" on the front of the box that are glued in place and this is to prevent the box from hitting the back of the cab I think.... Is it the same type of material?

My thinking is to cut and place/glue a gasket like insulation material in trough before setting the new box in place. What comes to mind is the insulation we installed under new carpeting on many past projects that has always worked out well..... Here is a link to that at Menards...

Is this what I should be doing? Suggestions/advice appreciated.....

And a PS... is there anything else/complications, I should anticipate setting this new box in place? It looks pretty straight forward and intuitive but I generally over think tasks like this.... In particular, should there be some kind of plumber's rubber gasket where the box sits on the six perches to prevent squeaking? or is that not an issue.....

Again... thanks.....
I would avoid using carpet underlay. Pretty sure that is going to hold moisture and accelerate rot. I'm not familiar with the area in question but if I was to use something it would be a closed cell foam similar to the gaskets used under the walls of new construction houses.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That crossmember has the primary function of keeping the frame rails from twisting at the point where the leaf spring perches mount to the frame.

I would not put any kind of "gasket" material over that.

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I agree...but there was something there from the factory.... It was so deteriorated that on this front crossmember that you could not tell what it was.... I went to the old box and they had some kind of gasket/insulation "tarred" onto the bottom of the box over the area where this crossmember was located as well... for some reason, this looks like a "cushion".... the two pieces attached to the bottom of the box were about a foot square.... and have some kind of tar/sealant? adhesive? quality to them.... I might have to look at Rock Auto or something to see if they would happen to list anything for sale for this.. I doubt it.... but.... Right now, I don't care a great deal but will add the reflective aluminum foil insulation which might not help but certainly won't hurt....

Finished all the frame work this morning very early, did some painting and later will go out and put on a second coat and some more undercoating and then walk away for a few days to let this all cure.... Maybe install the box on Wednesday....

Thanks for your help...

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just watched the You Tube video of the guys installing a red box on a green truck.... There was no gasket material over/around that front crossmember.... so if there was a pad/gasket of some kind it was on the bottom of the red box they were installing... like I said, on my old box it was two, 12 square inch pieces of some kind of insulation.... probably over thinking this again....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals