• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford ranger 4x4 front diff

Tanner moore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What’s up forum friends, so my ranger is giving me a slight issue, So I had just rebuilt the front end of my truck, and one of the hub lockers was engaged and the other wasn’t, now that both are disengaged, feels fine, went to make a u turn in the truck and front end was chattering and chirping the tires as if the diff had a locker, but it doesn’t, this was while in 2wd, when we had put it in 4wd with both wheels off and off the ground, front end shook back and forth, so decided to run in 2wd, when I make a u-turn and it does that, could the diff gears have binded and are stuck half way because of the one hub being engaged in 2wd? If there’s anyone with knowledge of this, please let me know, has the vacuum pulse locker hubs, stock diff and all!

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If both hubs are unlocked, it doesn't matter if there is a problem in the front diff or not, it would not affect anything. I think one of your hubs is not working correctly. You didn't put any thick grease in the hub area did you? The only thing that unlocks the hub is that large weak spring that pushes the sprag out when the hub retracts.

Tanner moore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’m thinking both hubs are faulty locking, because when I had made the u turn it chattered like a welded diff but the 4x4 wasn’t engaged

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would get a couple of jacks and jack each front wheel off the ground. Then you can spin the front tire while looking at the outer u-joint on the axle and see if it turns when it's locked and doesn't turn when it's unlocked. If you have the automatic 4x4 system with the auto hubs, all you have to do to lock them is to reach under and turn the front driveshaft by hand, both front hubs should lock. To unlock, just turn each front tire backwards till it unlocks.

You can also test the transfercase. When it's unlocked you should be able to turn the front driveshaft if the front wheels are off the ground. When the transfercase is locked in, you will not be able to turn the front driveshaft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals