• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Ranger - 4.6 3v Engine Swap

6gun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
??????
Tire Size
39X12.50R17
My credo
I'm not afraid of dying, not living terrifies me!
I don't know what the repair was, what the vehicle was, or any details because I only heard one side of the conversation, but I walked into the office the other week and heard my manager on the phone with an upset customer. As I walked in he was telling the guy "Well sir, you can sue us if you want, but it looks like you've put 15K miles on the vehicle since it was here last". I'm guessing another shop told him he needed an engine and we were the last ones to change his oil.

:unsure:I'm trying to convince the fab shop that put my Super Duty axles under my truck that they should comp me labor on the V-8 swap due to the fact that I believe my headgasket blew due to them putting "them big stupid mud tires" on my truck. So far my negotiations have not gotten me far! :ROFLMAO::poop:

Sorry for the thread derail, back to 4.6 swap madness!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I've already picked up the '08 Explorer so the 4.6 is what I'm sticking with. The new Coyotes are way too big of a job from what I've seen, and a lot more $$$. I'm not an electrical guy, so getting around the PATS and hooking up the ETC is going to be the things I'm not looking forward to.

Is it possible to swap out the ECU that has the PATS system on it with a model that didn't? Just a thought, ive seen mustang guys swapping theirs with one out of a Crown Vic because it supposedly doesn't have the PATS on the ECU.

Also, the plan is to supercharger the 4.6 in the future. Right now I just want to strip it down, replace some bearings, piston rings, gaskets, and also the coils (apparently old coils mess with the PCM and cause shifting problems) and give it a clean up and paint job. Anything else that might be worth it?

I have to recant my first suggestion. I did not register the 08.

For v8 Ford it is the best bang for the buck. 2nd only to the coyote. It's about 300 hp and tq with the 6r80....get the police package wiring and ecm and go HP
tuners.

Easy peasy.

First post with brain phone.... Might make it to the 21 at century

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
:unsure:I'm trying to convince the fab shop that put my Super Duty axles under my truck that they should comp me labor on the V-8 swap due to the fact that I believe my headgasket blew due to them putting "them big stupid mud tires" on my truck. So far my negotiations have not gotten me far! :ROFLMAO::poop:

Sorry for the thread derail, back to 4.6 swap madness!
I have seen so many people ignore the oil minder, reminder stickers, etc and go multiple times their oil change interval without even checking the oil, but then want to blame the last shop that changed the oil when the engine blows up "right after they got the oil changed".

STRIK24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have to recant my first suggestion. I did not register the 08.

For v8 Ford it is the best bang for the buck. 2nd only to the coyote. It's about 300 hp and tq with the 6r80....get the police package wiring and ecm and go HP
tuners.

Easy peasy.

First post with brain phone.... Might make it to the 21 at century
I've never heard of this HP Tuners thing, you'll have to explain a little more. And by police package wiring you mean the harness off a crown Vic or?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Police explorer with v8.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I was friendly with our Ford FSE and asked him if I could disable the PATS on my truck. He suggested gluing a programmed key under the steering column trim because there was no way to disable it but said I might have trouble if another PATS key was on my key ring. I don't think he would pull my leg, he used to send customers from other dealers to us if their dealer didn't/couldn't/ wouldn't fix their problem.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Putting a programmed PATS key near the transceiver works fine. It's an RF signal, just super short range. But if you put another Pat's key in the same range (i.e try to start the truck with a Pat's key while your other key is there) it will see two conflicting codes and fail.

I have a key cut to just open the doors (no chip) but if I take one of my chip keys and hold it against the column my non chipped key will start the truck. Take two chipped keys at once and do the same, truck wont start. Either chip key seperate works fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals