• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford ranger 3.0 misfire

omgitzjojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have 2002 ford ranger edge 3.0 auto trans 210k miles. I have bad fuel economy. I get 180 miles to a fuel tank no matter how grandmaish i drive. And have rough running engine idle and while driving. Especially can feel it in the steering wheel. Replaced spark plugs, wires, o2 sensors, fuel filter, iac valve, MAF sensor, and fuel injectors. I only have evap code p0457.(dont think that matters). I honestly think maybe the spark plugs i have suck or something. Ive had the truck for 5 monthsand there was a vacuum leak idk if the miss was before spark plugs or not. I heard someone say bosch double platinum caused detonation in there 3.0

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ditch the Bosch Plugs and buy Motorcraft or Autolites.

I personally wouldn't do another thing until it had new plugs.

omgitzjojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You think i should? I dont have detonation, i know thats what it looked like i said. If you still think i should i will. lmk

Blindmullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Go through some of the cam synchronizer troubleshooting and check your cats.

omgitzjojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Not gonna lie idk how to check that stuff. My long term fuel trim numbers aren't good. 13% and 19%. I tried motor craft plugs. Did nothing🤬

Paladin13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've got a 2001 Edge 3.0 and had a miss, found the head gasket was just starting to leak into the cylinder.

omgitzjojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know if i have a miss actually. I think its just engine vibration. Could it be because i have play in power steering pulley? I found it has play

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You're going to have to determine if this is isolated to one or two cylinders, a bank or all cylinders.

You can pull plug wires one at a time to see if the "rough running" gets worse or stays the same. A compression test would also help provide info.

The + fuel trims show lean burn as the ECU tries to add fuel. Lean burn can cause misfire. Test fuel pressure.

Most diagnosis starts with testing battery voltage then coil pack primary if hunting electrical problems.

omgitzjojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yup engine ran worse with each plug wire out at a time. I did compression test a week ago and the numbers are 160,165,170,180,180,180,180. The last time i did fuel pressure was 5 months ago it was 60 psi. While the engine was running i unplugged the iac and the rpm only dropped 100 so it idled at 900.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It seems you should pursue the lean fuel trims. If injectors have been replaced and you have no vacuum leaks and fuel pressure is OK then I'd try testing sensors that tell ECU to correct fuel trim, maybe IAT for intake air temp. Your fuel trims are high but not enough to trip a code.

I don't know if the 2002 has an EGR (vacuum source).

A skilled and experienced scan mechanic can read data which should track down the cause if you want to spend money on that instead of parts guessing.

omgitzjojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The IAT is built into the MAF sensor and i've already replaced it 10k miles ago. Also there is no egr for 2002 3.0

omgitzjojo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Also when you unplug the iac the engine rpm should drop to like 4-500 rpm and if not it indicates a vacuum leak. However idk where the leak would be. I previously had a vacuum leak and it was brake booster that i replaced

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals