• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Racing water pump questions

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My Edelbrock pump took a crap on me (see my video), so I obviously need a new pump. I've been looking around for a high volume pump, and the most cost effective piece I can find is the Ford Racing M-8501-C50 pump. One hesitation I have is this pump says it "provides good flow and pressure engines that operate below 6000 RPM". Umm, mine hits 6250 rpm on occasion. So does that mean this pump will not be happy with me, and I should look elsewhere? Any other recommendations?

Here's the pump: http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-waterpump-8693.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=M-8501-C50&utm_content=sJnK5u8CS_7876722028&utm_campaign=S+-+Engine+Product+Specific

And a video of my Edelbrock pump making noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2FrpVhvwww&

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will be ok at 6250, its the 8k rpms that NASCAR runs that won't work. Besides how often and how long of a duration above 6k does your engine actually see? My bet is seconds, not minutes or hours to be even close to a hazard :icon_thumby:

SVT

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You will be ok at 6250, its the 8k rpms that NASCAR runs that won't work. Besides how often and how long of a duration above 6k does your engine actually see? My bet is seconds, not minutes or hours to be even close to a hazard :icon_thumby:

SVT
That's what I was thinking as well. As you said, it just flashes up there twice once in a while (I usually back out of it at the top of 3rd gear).

On a side note, I read that Edelbrock rebuilds their pumps for 75 dollars. So I will hang on to it in case this Ford Racing pump doesn't pan out for some reason.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Wow Shane, that pumps sounds awful. Your water pump sings "Faith of the Heart".

EDIT: Whoops, computer was muted, that was the opening credits to ST: Enterprise I was hearing.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
My Ford Racing pump was cast "made in china" and died after about a year. That was a few years back so I would hope they have something better by now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Ford Racing pump was cast "made in china" and died after about a year. That was a few years back so I would hope they have something better by now.
Aside from my plug wires (which I love) Ford Racing stuff I have gotten seems fairly hit and miss in the quality department.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Ugh..... that pisses me off. Maybe rebuilding my Edelbrock is a better option.

EDIT: I just talked to Edelbrock and confirmed the 75 dollar price. The ONLY thing they reuse is the casting. Everything else is brand new. The 75 dollars includes return postage. He said I will have it back in 5 to 7 working days.

This will work out OK because I also talked to my buddy that owns the powder coating business, and he is going to recoat my pullies and valve covers. I can get this taken care of while the pump is gone.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ugh..... that pisses me off. Maybe rebuilding my Edelbrock is a better option.

EDIT: I just talked to Edelbrock and confirmed the 75 dollar price. The ONLY thing they reuse is the casting. Everything else is brand new. The 75 dollars includes return postage. He said I will have it back in 5 to 7 working days.
I wonder how hard it is to do. A bearing, seal and maybe impeller with a cover gasket shouldn't that much for parts expense.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I wonder how hard it is to do. A bearing, seal and maybe impeller with a cover gasket shouldn't that much for parts expense.
Its simple. I've had to rebuild a lot of older forklift waterpumps over the years (it beats telling a customer they need a $1000+ waterpump.) You just need a press, a kit, and a little time.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
It comes with a new shaft/hub, machined impeller, seals, bearings, back cover plate and gaskets. I also take it the will be sending me new threaded brass fittings for the bypass and heater outlet. I tried to get the guy to sell me the kit to do it, and he said that they only do it in house.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its simple. I've had to rebuild a lot of older forklift waterpumps over the years (it beats telling a customer they need a $1000+ waterpump.) You just need a press, a kit, and a little time.
Yeah, the guys at work do it all the time on tractors. I just never heard of anyone rebuilding their car pumps... although when most run $20-30 with a warrenty it is hard to justify.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
although when most run $20-30 with a warrenty it is hard to justify.
My car has had several POS Autozone pumps on it. After about number 5 in 3 years, the manager agreed to give me my money back and that's when I put the Edelbrock unit on.

The Autozone pumps also give me a heat spike if I hop on it. I read that they flow less than factory on one of the Mustang forums. With the Edelbrock it takes a good amount of hot rodding to get the gauge to move much. I also run underdrive pullies (I think it turns 30% slower), so that doesn't help my situation out either.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My car has had several POS Autozone pumps on it. After about number 5 in 3 years, the manager agreed to give me my money back and that's when I put the Edelbrock unit on.

The Autozone pumps also give me a heat spike if I hop on it. I read that they flow less than factory on one of the Mustang forums. With the Edelbrock it takes a good amount of hot rodding to get the gauge to move much. I also run underdrive pullies (I think it turns 30% slower), so that doesn't help my situation out either.
I was just saying that is probably why most people don't rebuild them themselves. By the time you pay a guy to do it it is probably cheaper to just buy a new one and have a lifetime warrenty... shops love that too because it won't come back on them if there is a problem.

I think it was $20 with no core for my first standard pump, when it leaked shortly after I got the truck going I was disgusted because of the amount of work to get at the pump so I bought a new one for somewhere around $70. Turned out it was just the housing to backing plate gasket but by then I was up to my armpits in the truck and warrentied the otherwise good reman.

Now it is sitting on the shelf because I swapped it all out for an Explorer setup which made the truck much easier to work on. :rolleyes:

Capriman86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the FMS one in 2 of my foxes, so far so good.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I have the FMS one in 2 of my foxes, so far so good.
How long have you had them? I'm still not ruling the FMS unit out. I will make whoever I buy it from open the box and tell me if it says Made in China.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals