• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Moving toward Build-to-Order, Away from Packed Dealer Lots

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I could see that, but some people will still go in to the dealer and haggle on the price of one they like. They're going to have both IMO.

cschannuth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
255/60-15
My credo
Expect nothing and I’m like really disappointed
When I buy new I always order them exactly how I want them. I pay $100 over dealer invoice minus all the incentives available. It usually comes out to about 20-25% off sticker depending on the vehicle. If your dealer won’t do that, find a different dealer. Wait until June and you’ll get all the end of model year incentives also. You get the incentives available on the date of order no matter what the incentives are when you take delivery. Also, if the incentives improve between the time you order and when you take delivery, you get the better incentives.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I can see an argument for custom build and just picking from what is in the lot.

From the lot is much quicker if you are willing to compromise on what you want and what they think you will accept.

From the build and price, you get exactly what you want but you have to wait your turn in the cue. That can take a long time.

It sort of goes back to the cheap, quick, and quality matrix.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I like this idea, and they can deliver it to my house. Yeas, their will be a longer wait, but at least you get what you want. Hyundai does the exact opposite and it is a major PITA to get the car you want with the options they say are available. Their dealers are allocated by algorithms that say what sales more in your area. If you want a certain trim in a certain color, you either have to wait, or go to other dealerships that sale more of those cars. which then throws off the algorithms. Totally stupid.
I think if the industry goes to this type of PERSONALIZED sales, the dealerships will still have a few cars on hand for the people who don't care and just 'want a car' and to give the potential customer something to see before buying. Which is how I think it all started in the first place: manager orders a "fully" optioned car for the showroom, then the customer would delete things they didn't want and wait for their car to show up, if they didn't have it on the lot, or just buy the fully optioned one "off the show room floor". That used to be a thing, now they just cram the lots with a few strippers, a few loaded, and a bunch of mediocre.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
3 out of the last 4 vehicle I bought were ordered how I wanted them. The only reason I bought my ‘17 f150 off the lot was because it was dealer modified with a 6” lift on 35’s.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The typical American is too much into "instant gratification" to wait to order a vehicle. They are doing it now because there are literally no vehicles on dealer's lots. We will see how this works out after the current situation settles back closer to "normal" and there is inventory again. I know its a lot of hand-holding now - all those people who have vehicles on order are wanting to be updated every week or two as to the status of their order, even though Ford is updating them automatically every time there is a real status change. Because nearly everyone thinks they are special and deserve special treatment. It will be interesting...

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Personally I think this is great. I got lucky when I found my Ranger, exactly the one I was looking for at a dealer close by. I know that there are plenty of people like me who would gladly pay a bit more to get the vehicle I want, the way I want it, vs something just off the lot.

As stated before, it will probably go 50/50. They will still have quite a bit of cars on the lot, but be able to order them for those who want to pay / wait for it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have some buddies that always order their trucks. It takes longer but is cheaper, which is fine for them, as they'll drive current truck until it show up. Also there are options and configurations that would never be seen on the lot. For example: A 2020 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 with a manual 6 speed transmission! We still think he's nuts, but its kinda fun shifting gears on a 3/4 ton diesel. Another buddy ordered one without a bed, and had a badass toolbox bed made.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have some buddies that always order their trucks. It takes longer but is cheaper, which is fine for them, as they'll drive current truck until it show up. Also there are options and configurations that would never be seen on the lot. For example: A 2020 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 with a manual 6 speed transmission! We still think he's nuts, but its kinda fun shifting gears on a 3/4 ton diesel. Another buddy ordered one without a bed, and had a badass toolbox bed made.

I thought dodge discontinued their 3/4T manuals back in 2016, interesting.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I thought dodge discontinued their 3/4T manuals back in 2016, interesting.
Same here lol. It might be a 2019, but its newer than '16 for sure.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't see the option for a manual on a dodge chassis cab, but they do have the option for two PTOs and dual fuel tanks 23ga and 55ga, so that's pretty cool.

I think if I ever buy a new truck I would likely be a chassis cab from a commercial/ side of a dealership.

I wounder if commercial trucks are exempt from the requirement to have a backup camera.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I don't see the option for a manual on a dodge chassis cab, but they do have the option for two PTOs and dual fuel tanks 23ga and 55ga, so that's pretty cool.

I think if I ever buy a new truck I would likely be a chassis cab from a commercial/ side of a dealership.

I wounder if commercial trucks are exempt from the requirement to have a backup camera.
Interesting, I'm gonna ask my buddy about what options he went through. Yep, my other buddy saved a lot of dough not paying for a bed he did not need. Pretty sure he did have a backup camera, I'm gonna ask him about that too lol.

If I were to get a 3/4 or 1 ton, it would probably be Dodge, and for sure Diesel. A 1/2 ton would be another F150 for sure. I'm one of those weirdos that actually likes the Triton 5.4L. Mine's been good to me.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Personally I think this is great. I got lucky when I found my Ranger, exactly the one I was looking for at a dealer close by. I know that there are plenty of people like me who would gladly pay a bit more to get the vehicle I want, the way I want it, vs something just off the lot.

As stated before, it will probably go 50/50. They will still have quite a bit of cars on the lot, but be able to order them for those who want to pay / wait for it.
I'd rather pay a little bit less. Currently to get "one" feature I do want, I'm saddled with a package that includes a bunch of features I don't want.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals