• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FORD factory CD rom Service manual

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Have a question.

does anyone know how to alter the default ini file within the *pubs/programs* folder to change the program interface to NOT look for the cd rom as the location for the manual information but rather to a selected folder that I have transferred all of the information from the cd to?

When one installs the service manual the program will install the PUBS folder to anywhere you decide to put it. The manuals program (I believe it is within *view16.exe*) defaults to looking for the manual on the cd disc (there is an entry in the ini file that states....*=REMOVEABLE,*,any CD-ROM Drive....). I want to just change that to look for the info in the folder on the hard drive where I have copied everything to so I no longer have keep using the disc.

My attempts at re-writing the ini keep failing.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What OS are you using?

After Windows ME you need to edit the registry entry...but be careful and make sure you create a backup of the registry that you can restore things in case you mess up...save the registry to a backup file your desktop and have a poke around for the entry...you can search the registry as needed...

There is also an ini section in the MSCONFIG window that might lead you to an answer...never played with that much but I didn't try to override basic setup in most cases...

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Both Win7 & XP SP3 alongside each other....the program will run in both op/sys,

oddly enough I can't find a registry entry for the service manual..(sounds odd, you'd think that there must be something there) but looking for a reference for Ford finds nothing.

RocketRod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why not make a "virtual CD" using Magic Disk. Video's out on the web for doing it. search virtual dvd

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
One other possibility is that it simply stores the install location as the relative path for the manuals. If that's the case, you could simply copy the CD into a convenient location on the hard drive, then eject the CD and install from the new location. Once that's done, you can carefully remove any redundancies in file storage between the installation package location and the folder you installed to.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
^ That's what I have done so far,

copied the entire disc info into a folder within the same folder as the install exe puts the program. There is an INI file in the there that the exe uses to *find* the needed info on the disc for the various vehicles, if one alters the *ini* file to not point to the cd-rom the exe can't find the folder that is now pointed to.

This has me somewhat puzzled, so much for my Windows DOS experience.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Why not make a "virtual CD" using Magic Disk. Video's out on the web for doing it. search virtual dvd
I suppose that this would be the next move assuming I can't get past the *ini* file alteration.

RocketRod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I suppose that this would be the next move assuming I can't get past the *ini* file alteration.
By doing a virtual cd/dvd there is no need to even mess with the ini file. Your computer thinks the cd is already in the virtual cd drive.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Well, that worked,

the virtual drive appears in *My Computer* all the time, seems I can dismount & mount the iso when I need it.

This IS much better than pulling the disc from my library folder, loading it into the rom drive , unloading it, as needed.

Thx for the insight, much appreciated.

Steve

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks for following that up because I forgot about it and wanted to know the solution. Not that it will help me but my DVD drive is not supported by XP right now and I've been thinking of upgrading to a newer OS.

In searching for this answer I found that Win 7 has the same issue but Win 8 has a fix built in that recognizes ISO files without any need to download or upgrade...

Nice to know since I've been out of the loop for a while...:)

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
In searching for this answer I found that Win 7 has the same issue but Win 8 has a fix built in that recognizes ISO files without any need to download or upgrade...

Nice to know since I've been out of the loop for a while...:)
Not ever having used *8*......that op/sys does have a built in iso image program, something that *7* was not blessed with.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals