• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Explorer swap into Ford Ranger

wpowe008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sorry if this has been covered before but...

I've got a 2001 Ranger with a bad motor (4.0L V6), and about to buy a 2001 Ford Explorer motor (4.0L V6.) What did I need to do to make that Explorer motor fit into my Ranger?

Thanks, and I look forward to posting on here.

Good bye Celica, Hello Ranger.

Last edited:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
An engine hoist, a good set of wrenches and sockets, a free weekend and some patience

everything *should* bolt right up. I think the sensors and wiring harness should match too, since both motors are 2001 4.0's If not, you might have to swap some of the parts from the old 4.0 over to the new on. might be some different brackets for accessories, but this came out of an explorer, so it should be the same there too

AJ

wpowe008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I've done a few engine swaps before in my Celica, a CRX and a Cougar. I've been told i'll have to switch a few things, and i've been trying to find out what. I'm assuming it's the timing chain cover but i'm really not sure.

If anyone does know let me know. I plan on starting in the next week or so, when I figure it out i'll post it so if someone else has this question in the future maybe it'll go smoother for them.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I've done a few engine swaps before in my Celica, a CRX and a Cougar. I've been told i'll have to switch a few things, and i've been trying to find out what. I'm assuming it's the timing chain cover but i'm really not sure.

If anyone does know let me know. I plan on starting in the next week or so, when I figure it out i'll post it so if someone else has this question in the future maybe it'll go smoother for them.
Basically all you need to do is look at both engines and see what is different between the two. So what I am saying is if the intakes are different swap the one from the ranger engine to the explorer engine and so on. I swapped a 91 explorer engine into a 92 ranger and didn't have one problem with the swap. Didn't really need to move alot over but ended with alot of parts. The one thing the 91 had that the 92 doesn't was a MAP sensor. If you plan it right it should take you right at 7 hours to have it in and running.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals