• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Explorer Consoles

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I'm going to start gathering parts (seats and center console) for a swap into my 2009 Ranger standard cab. I'm in no rush, so I want to get the best parts I can find.
As far as the console, from what I've read here, I should be looking at one from a 1995 thru 2001. But, does it matter whether it comes from a 4 door, 2 door, or an Explorer Sport Trac?
I found a site that I can get one from a 2001 from any model Explorer. Can even get it in the gray color I need. Entire console would run about $150, shipped, and claim the parts are in very good condition.
Just need to find out from which model I should source the console from. Also, the site lists both "console from a sport" and "high console from an XLT"
Seats will be coming from either a Ford Focus, the cloth Recaro style, or from a Ford Escape. Still checking web sites for those.
Any input on the console would be appreciated.
Grumpaw

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Have a spare grey one here if you're interested ??

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
There's a LOT of different ones. I have a manual trans version in KaP currently, pulled it from a 1994 Ranger, with a 2008 Explorer armrest on top

The only difference between consoles IIRC is the front cupholders, and whether or not your armrest has rear cupholders.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
From whaat I've read on the forum, it seems that the later ones, like 2001 are the preferred ones because of the cupholder placement, and the fact that it fits the bottom contour of the dash.
Also, from looking on e-bay, the "high full console" is the one I should be trying to find. Just trying to determine if there is any difference between consoles from a 4 door, a 2 door, or a Sport Trac.
Don't know what yours is Junkie, but if its in good cond interest might be their.
Auto Parts Fair is the web site I found, and I can narrow my choice right down to the year/color/material. And condition is stated as excellant.
Also, the Ranger is in pristine cond. That and the fact that due to my age, it's probably going to be the last "project" vehicle I'm likely to work on, so I want to get the best possible parts I can
as I plan on keeping it for many years.
Plan on fully lining the floor and rear wall with sound deadening and replacing the rubber mat with some high quality carpet.
Grumpaw

Last edited:

Gozi

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
P235/75R15
Just me but I think the oonsole from the sport trac look better and the model will work up till the year 2007. Seats will also fit the Ranger and have an adjustable head rest. I've seen colors in tan, grey and black.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The console was plumb gone out of my 96 explorer, except for a small cup/junk holder almost completely under the dash(which I canNot discover how to remove, I'd like to pull it out a ways for better access)
I looked for one at pickNpay and almost all they had were full length & height behemoths which I really don't care for either.

They're all constructed as if going into a sherman tank, and there's really no easy way to remove/install them. You almost have to dis-assemble it entirely, piece by piece, from the inner bracing, and then remove the bracing, which in itself is not an easy task.

You will wind up underneath, reaching around the transmission, transfer case, drive shaft and cross members to reach the bolts and screws going in from below

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I pulled the console that I installed in my 88 Eddie Bauer Bronco 2 from a 90's Explorer that luckily had the matching tan interior...I also grabbed the dual visor sun visors at the same time as well. Still need to find a replacement tan Eddie Bauer driver seat for the Bronco 2 though LOL, it has a red one currently due to the original one having a broken right side hinge and if you sit down and lean back just right you end up flat on your back staring at the ceiling LOL...not a safe idea.

I haven't looked around too much to know what other years will interchange but I know the 90's explorer consoles usually fit in Bronco 2's and Rangers that is if you have bucket seats.

None of the fasteners for the console I pulled required messing with them from under the vehicle everything was in the console itself, make sure you grab the mounting bracket(s) too, it made installing the console/armrest in my Bronco 2 very simple. I just placed it where I wanted it then marked where to drill pilot holes then used self-tapping screws to install it with, it works great and looks like it belonged there from the factory.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I pulled the console that I installed in my 88 Eddie Bauer Bronco 2 from a 90's Explorer that luckily had the matching tan interior...I also grabbed the dual visor sun visors at the same time as well. Still need to find a replacement tan Eddie Bauer driver seat for the Bronco 2 though LOL, it has a red one currently due to the original one having a broken right side hinge and if you sit down and lean back just right you end up flat on your back staring at the ceiling LOL...not a safe idea.

I haven't looked around too much to know what other years will interchange but I know the 90's explorer consoles usually fit in Bronco 2's and Rangers that is if you have bucket seats.

None of the fasteners for the console I pulled required messing with them from under the vehicle everything was in the console itself, make sure you grab the mounting bracket(s) too, it made installing the console/armrest in my Bronco 2 very simple. I just placed it where I wanted it then marked where to drill pilot holes then used self-tapping screws to install it with, it works great and looks like it belonged there from the factory.
I actually have a tan first gen EB seat of you want it.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it didn't cost a fortune for shipping it would be great I'm on the other side of the Country LOL.
Could just ship the upholstery ??‍♂

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Could just ship the upholstery ??‍♂
I need the whole seat, the right side hinge is broken, and the left side bolster is all broken down LOL. Thank you though. Seems all the cool stuff is always on the wrong side of the country, except at least out here in the West we don't have quite as much of the rust issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals