• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford escape. anybody have one?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I know you are looking at an older one slo-vo, but I thought I just might add this.

There is one issue that I've only seen complaints on the 2005 V6. Some drivers say they are driving and all the sudden it loses all power. The fix requires you to replace the spark plugs, COP's and PCM's.

What I know is vague, and I'm betting adsm might know a bit more. I seem to remember reading it's a frequency generated by the COP's (that were made by a certain manufacturer) and it burns out the PCM.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My neighbor has an 06 with 3.0 and Awd and he really likes it. Good mpg on the highway, good in the snow and rides nice. The only issues he's had are a broken ABS tone ring on one of the axles, which I've heard is a fairly common issue, and an annoying exhaust leak where the pipe meets the manifold. Apparently there is no gasket there so I don't know what the fix for that would be.

Josh
Yeah, you can actually buy the tone rings by themselves instead of the whole CV shaft. That shows you it's an issue.

BUT, I would still own another one in a heartbeat!!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older one....the newer ones seem to have their own issues. PTU oil leaks mostly.

greenbeen89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mom and sister both have 1 they love them I hate the cause I have to work on them lol I wouldn't b scared my sisters has got 2xxxxx and still kicking does have the oil pan leak just keep up the maintenance and u should b fine

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the one im looking at has 212,xxx, its got a few small dings and scratches but like i said its cheap at $3500. and my wife will just continue to add scratches and dings to it anyways.

my only concern was the 3.0 and trans, i dont mind working on stuff so higher milage vehicles usually dont scare me off but i have no experience with the escape platform.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's really not bad. It's just sideways. The trans is a pain to remove, the engine is a pain to remove or work on the FEAD because it's jammed into the side of the body, just like anything else FWD.

Once you get past the fact that everything is sideways and so half of it is harder to reach, it's no different than working on any other vehicle.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, you can actually buy the tone rings by themselves instead of the whole CV shaft. That shows you it's an issue.

BUT, I would still own another one in a heartbeat!!
No, what shows you that it's an issue is that it went from only available with a shaft, to an $85 part that you could get separately, to being about $10 now (OEM at the dealership) in less than 3 years.

I know you are looking at an older one slo-vo, but I thought I just might add this.

There is one issue that I've only seen complaints on the 2005 V6. Some drivers say they are driving and all the sudden it loses all power. The fix requires you to replace the spark plugs, COP's and PCM's.

What I know is vague, and I'm betting adsm might know a bit more. I seem to remember reading it's a frequency generated by the COP's (that were made by a certain manufacturer) and it burns out the PCM.
I have seen the TSB about this, but I have not had to do it. As I recall there was some issue with the coils, the flyback voltage wasn't were it was supposed to be and so the RF condensers weren't doing their job because the whole system was miscalibrated. Caused the PCMs to burn out. But that was an issue specific to the 05s IIRC.

I will say this though. At 212K, you may be in for some painful maintenance soon. That is still a coil-on-plug system near a total service interval. Each coil is about $130. And remember that bank 1 gets to sit in the back and cook like the TFI modules did, so cheap ones don't live as long in the back.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
My mother has one and she loves it, all 4 cylinders of fury of it.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
No, what shows you that it's an issue is that it went from only available with a shaft, to an $85 part that you could get separately, to being about $10 now (OEM at the dealership) in less than 3 years.
I've never seen one available on any other Ford separate from the shaft (haven't worked on every model like you have, however). That price reduction is huge though. I looked at mine, and they seem fine. One shaft is new on mine though.

I have seen the TSB about this, but I have not had to do it. As I recall there was some issue with the coils, the flyback voltage wasn't were it was supposed to be and so the RF condensers weren't doing their job because the whole system was miscalibrated. Caused the PCMs to burn out. But that was an issue specific to the 05s IIRC.
I think it is a 2005 specific issue. From what I understand, Ford could save every '05 owner a huge headache and do a recall of the plugs and coils, but they are pussyfooting around about it.

My mother has one and she loves it, all 4 cylinders of fury of it.
I would rather have the 4 cylinder. They are a lot easier to work on. The only goofy issue I've had with mine was the drivers side cv axle had a tear in the boot, so I replaced the whole unit (as seen above).

Who the hell knows how that got torn though.....

Last edited:

john93rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 02 with 200000 miles on it and the only proble was the trany but 200000 that not two bad motor has oil pan leak but i love it

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would rather it have the 4 banger then the v6. I may just pass it up and keep looking but at 3-4k cheaper then I've seen the escapes go for it's tempting.

If this is the same motor they run in everything else parts should be easy to come by in the JY's

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've never seen one available on any other Ford separate from the shaft (haven't worked on every model like you have, however). That price reduction is huge though. I looked at mine, and they seem fine. One shaft is new on mine though.
Most Fords don't have this issue because most Fords don't have the tone ring as part of the axle shaft. Most of them are on the hub, the back of the rotor or part of the sealed bearing assembly. The Escape is unique-ish.

I would rather it have the 4 banger then the v6. I may just pass it up and keep looking but at 3-4k cheaper then I've seen the escapes go for it's tempting.

If this is the same motor they run in everything else parts should be easy to come by in the JY's
The 4-cyls are nice for some things. Plugs, intake gaskets, etc. When it comes to front end stuff they are just as much of a bastard as the V6.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals