• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford CEO: Need Better Quality

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
At least they know what they need to work on. My full size is a nissan titan and we get tons of people who used to drive f150s but left because of how many peoblems they had with their ecoboost f150s

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
"Until I Get My MultiMillionDollar AnnualBonus & StockOptions, Nothing Else Matters."
is really what the CEO & everyone else in the executive suite is thinking.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thats partially the reason i bought a jeep. The internet (granted, yes its the internet) is littered with issues about recent ford drivetrains.

Crazy how they can go from building rock solid stuff like the old Windsors and I6's and early 5.4's to the iffy at best stuff they make today.

GM is just as bad anymore.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I've heard good and bad about the 2.7 ecoboost. My takeaway was that they're perfectly fine for modern engines. I didn't get one cause trucks in general are just so ridiculously expensive. A big problem i read about is condensate collecting in the intercooler, then stalling the engine under sudden, high throttle. The solution was to drill a weep hole in a low spot. That seems like it'd be a problem on all turbo engines tho, so Ford did something wrong there.

I don't know that Ford should be ridiculed any more than others tho. My wife's Camaro had stupid problems. the first 6-12 mo of the 2016 generational update put bad tranny fluid in the A8 that fried the TC. They went thru a couple TSBs till they fixed it. First it was 3 flushes then TC replacement... that didn't work. Then it was a special power flush then TC change. That seemed to work. My dealer didn't follow the TSB and did TWO power flushes then TC change. They also didn't ground the block good enough leaving people stranded with non-start when hot. a simple addition of a ground cable fixed it.

The new Tundra is a prime example of why to wait for a year before buying a generational update.

I mainly think it's a matter of new stuff being buggy. By the time it's confirmed to be reliable, it's outdated. I think that's why Mazda is so far behind on hp, mpg, tech... they found something that works really well and just stick with it... and they're too small to fund new stuff. They're Chinese now, so no telling what the future holds for them.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
At least they are publicly recognizing and at least saying they are going to address the problems. That’s more than many do.

Unfortunately, Ford is run by a lot of people that agree with the current government agenda. They also don’t learn from other people’s mistakes, like the issues VW and others has/had with DI engines. I’m sure the issues with the 5.4 3 valves didn’t help either.

It will be interesting to see what they do, if anything other than just saying words.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
At least they are publicly recognizing and at least saying they are going to address the problems. That’s more than many do.

Unfortunately, Ford is run by a lot of people that agree with the current government agenda. They also don’t learn from other people’s mistakes, like the issues VW and others has/had with DI engines. I’m sure the issues with the 5.4 3 valves didn’t help either.

It will be interesting to see what they do, if anything other than just saying words.
I'd really like them to do more with their lowest option NA 3.3 V6. I hate how 4 bangers are taking the place of V6s. I'd rather have an underpowered 6 than a strung out 4.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'd really like them to do more with their lowest option NA 3.3 V6. I hate how 4 bangers are taking the place of V6s. I'd rather have an underpowered 6 than a strung out 4.
They are taking the same approach that was the big push in the 1980s.

Smaller engines use less fuel. At least on paper. In the real world, there is a benefit as long as you aren’t towing or hauling anything. That’s the Eco side.

Throw a big enough load in the back or hook up a trailer and you are in boost and won’t be much better, if any than a larger NA engine.

At least the ecoboost engines aren’t failing like the ones in the 1980s were. Manufacturers were throwing turbos on engines never designed to be boosted which where causing head gasket failures left and right. Then there was the oil coking issue in the turbos as well. The push turned into a temporary fad that people didn’t forget for a long time. I don’t think Ford started dabbling in turbocharged gas engines again until either 2014 or 2015.

Like you said, it would be nice if there was a naturally aspirated offering. Even if it was a bit of a dog.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Most 3.5 EB guys online claim about 11-12mpg towing 6-7klbs.

By comparison my 460 gets 10.

More power being used, more gas youll burn. Theres no real way around it.

CMOS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
At least they know what they need to work on. My full size is a nissan titan and we get tons of people who used to drive f150s but left because of how many peoblems they had with their ecoboost f150s

Have they listed anything specific that they feel needs correcting, or was it more of a general statement?

CMOS

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are taking the same approach that was the big push in the 1980s.

Smaller engines use less fuel. At least on paper. In the real world, there is a benefit as long as you aren’t towing or hauling anything. That’s the Eco side.

Throw a big enough load in the back or hook up a trailer and you are in boost and won’t be much better, if any than a larger NA engine.

At least the ecoboost engines aren’t failing like the ones in the 1980s were. Manufacturers were throwing turbos on engines never designed to be boosted which where causing head gasket failures left and right. Then there was the oil coking issue in the turbos as well. The push turned into a temporary fad that people didn’t forget for a long time. I don’t think Ford started dabbling in turbocharged gas engines again until either 2014 or 2015.

Like you said, it would be nice if there was a naturally aspirated offering. Even if it was a bit of a dog.
Ecoboost came out in 2011 for trucks.

Most 3.5 EB guys online claim about 11-12mpg towing 6-7klbs.

By comparison my 460 gets 10.

More power being used, more gas youll burn. Theres no real way around it.
If you need 400 horses you gotta feed 400 horses.

The neat part about a ecoboost is if you don't need 400 horses you are not stuck feeding them.

Our 5k lb Bronco is a freaking brick, gets 25mpg and I wouldn't want to live on the difference between it and my coyote F-150 in a drag race. That lil bugger will scoot.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ecoboost came out in 2011 for trucks.

If you need 400 horses you gotta feed 400 horses.

The neat part about a ecoboost is if you don't need 400 horses you are not stuck feeding them.

Our 5k lb Bronco is a freaking brick, gets 25mpg and I wouldn't want to live on the difference between it and my coyote F-150 in a drag race. That lil bugger will scoot.
No, the EB will pry hit 20 empty. But that waa kinda my point. Power means fuel consumption lol.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Agreed, I've been away from it since 2017, but we sold a pile of 3.5 EcoBoost F150's, customers loved them, they got good mileage, and we had zero problems. Our sales manager was the dealer's son and he always had an Ecoboost F150 demo if we had one in stock. He towed his 2 snowmobile trailer to Pittsburg, NH, in cold winter weather(obviously) and got mid 20's for gas mileage. We had a customer who towed a trailer all over selling welding supplies with his EcoBoost F150. We loaned him a 5.0 truck when his was in for a turbo at 150,000 miles. He thanked me for the loan, said the 5.0 was a lot harder on gas and didn't tow as well. We never had to take a 3.5 apart for anything, a couple high mile turbos was the worst we had. We sold few 2.7 trucks at the time but also had zero problems with them.
My 2016 2.0 EcoBoost AWD averaged 27.3 mpg round trip to my daughter's house near Washington, DC- going 75-80 on the highway and then in the worst city driving I've ever seen.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Earlier than I remember in any case. Considering, they haven’t been to bad. Though, the valve coking issue before they put port injection back in is an annoyingly expensive one.

The only other issue I recall being with the 2.7 and the oil pan?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals