• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford answers your questions

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I read this article in PETERSON'S 4 WHEEL & OFF-ROAD (February 2010 issue) and thought you guys might like it.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
So, to summarize the Ranger responses:

Ford has no plans to offer a diesel or crew cab
The Ranger will still be produced for the "forseeable future," whatever that means.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 1970
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
More or less they just told us that the ranger is going to chill out and be the same boring truck it is now right out of the factory. I love mine, but come on, spice it up a little.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
More or less they just told us that the ranger is going to chill out and be the same boring truck it is now right out of the factory. I love mine, but come on, spice it up a little.
At least they aren't going to kill it. Granted, it could use a refresh.

Doesn't Ford have a deisel Ranger in Europe? Aren't the Euro V standards more stringant than the EPA's?

SnC RangeR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_confused: still scratchin my head wonderin why?

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Why fix something that is NOT broken?

GJ Ford, Leave the Ranger AS IT, do not jack-it-up, like what had happened to the F-150.

Next Gas spike the Ranger will sell again, and keep the design the same.(cheaper replacement parts) Ford needs to pay off their debt and become strong again.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I think a revamped more powerful 4-banger (maybe w/ an Ecoboost turbo????) would be nice.

The Luigiian

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Seriously.

I was looking at one recently at the local Ford dealership while waiting for the Jiffy Lube guys to finish working on my car. Really nice interior, better than the F-150 in my opinion because of some great interior materials. Even the dash and door trim was soft and attractive, which is really hard to find these days. It also looked and felt great.

But the drivetrains have got to go. The 4.0 and 2.3 need to be updated to the Escape's 2.5 and 3.0, and an Ecoboost would help.

The article tells me what I wanted to know, and I'm glad to hear the Ranger will survive at least a few more years. I think it'll be sort of like the Transit Connect, a work vehicle, which is as it should be. But I do hope they put in some more fuel-efficient engines.

And keep the 4x4!

Scotty J.

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I think FORD is going to "Keep things as is" hoping that government intervention on the GM and Dodge front will change their offerings to the point that nobody will want to buy them.

If *I* ran ford, I'd be pumping out all the things that the Government says is wrong, because that is what people apparently want to buy. There will always be the foreign competition as well, but my opinion is, if FORD sticks to their guns, they will come out on top as the most successful American Car Company in the very near future.

However, future regulations may put them out of business.

That's my take anyway.

IlovemybroncII

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chev
For
Engine Size
350/2.9/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I read somewhere that they are going to kill the ranger brand in 2012 thats why there is no retool on it and updating some other small truck is replacing it forgot what the new truck was call

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
Seriously.

I was looking at one recently at the local Ford dealership while waiting for the Jiffy Lube guys to finish working on my car. Really nice interior, better than the F-150 in my opinion because of some great interior materials. Even the dash and door trim was soft and attractive, which is really hard to find these days. It also looked and felt great.

But the drivetrains have got to go. The 4.0 and 2.3 need to be updated to the Escape's 2.5 and 3.0, and an Ecoboost would help.

The article tells me what I wanted to know, and I'm glad to hear the Ranger will survive at least a few more years. I think it'll be sort of like the Transit Connect, a work vehicle, which is as it should be. But I do hope they put in some more fuel-efficient engines.

And keep the 4x4!

worst statement ever , the 4.0 is the best engine in my opinion , yes the 2.3 is a little on the anemic side , but it is only availabe in the 2WD for a reason , not to mention it gets amazing gas mileage , and ford ditched the 3.0 from the ranger for a reason , we do not want another tauras engine in our rangers ( the 3.0 in the escape is the same as the old tauras/sable 3.0 DOHC ) its fine in the little escapes and tauras' with their FWD , but it would be horrible in a 4x4/RWD Truck.

The Luigiian

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
worst statement ever , the 4.0 is the best engine in my opinion , yes the 2.3 is a little on the anemic side , but it is only availabe in the 2WD for a reason , not to mention it gets amazing gas mileage , and ford ditched the 3.0 from the ranger for a reason , we do not want another tauras engine in our rangers ( the 3.0 in the escape is the same as the old tauras/sable 3.0 DOHC ) its fine in the little escapes and tauras' with their FWD , but it would be horrible in a 4x4/RWD Truck.
Fair enough, I shouldn't have mentioned the Escape, since it is FWD.

The 2.3 does get good mileage, but the difference between its engine and the Tacoma's 2.7 is too minimal for most people to even notice. 20/26 versus 22/27 for manual, and the Tacoma gets better mileage than Ranger four with automatic (19/25 for Tacoma versus 19/24 for Ranger.)

The 4.0 liter has a good reputation and good quality, but I think the Ranger needs a good middle-of-the-road option that combines good mileage with good V-6 power. I think the 4.0 could continue if Ford offered the 1.6 or 2.0 Ecoboost to bridge the gap in mileage and power between the four and six.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would love to see a v-6 ecoboost in the ranger. That will shut you both up! Good power, good economy, everyone is happy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals