• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford Announces The Return of The Ranger in 2019 - TRS's 20TH Anniversary

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Everest is based on the Ranger, same relationship the Ranger and BII had from what I understand.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would have used the Ranger and 1st gen Explorer as my examples for New Ranger and Everest aka New Bronco but close enough with Ranger and BII.

People put 2 & 2 together with new math and came up with 5. It has been announced that New Ranger will use axles made in the same Dana factory as the Jeep solid front axle and came up with New Ranger/Bronco will be getting solid front axle. That conveniently ignores that Dana build Ranger IFS and Jeep solid axles historically. And like historical, they might not even be same model.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would have used the Ranger and 1st gen Explorer as my examples for New Ranger and Everest aka New Bronco but close enough with Ranger and BII.
Kind of splitting hairs but the current models look more similar than the Ex and Ranger did.

It is all hard to say since they haven't released what we are getting yet though.

Last edited:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Exactly. And Ford has already stated that the Bronco will not be a rebadged Everest even though they will both share the same platform with the Ranger.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Exactly. And Ford has already stated that the Bronco will not be a rebadged Everest even though they will both share the same platform with the Ranger.
And the Ranger is getting a facelift too, so really it is all in the air yet.

rangerpilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Manual
The worst part of the TRS 20th anniversary is my Ranger's 20th anniversary is only year later.

I got it in the fall of 2000... my high school sophomore year :shok:

I've been nursing a 99 for years. Hoping it will hanging to grab 300k before it completely dies. Best I can figure 8-10 months but that will put me about ) months shy and a whole lotta cash shy of the new Ranger.

I might have to go with a used F150 to get me by.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
I work at Michigan Assembly where both are going to be built. We just started summer shut down and rumor is when we come back to work in two weeks there will be a pair of pre production Rangers on display in our main isle for all of us to see. If that happens Ill be sure to grab pix and post them up.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
That'll be cool. Thanks man. They've been touting the Bronco for years. They don't even know lol.

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I work at Michigan Assembly where both are going to be built. We just started summer shut down and rumor is when we come back to work in two weeks there will be a pair of pre production Rangers on display in our main isle for all of us to see. If that happens Ill be sure to grab pix and post them up.
That will be great to see a picture of the new Ranger. I would love to work at a Ford assembly plant it sounds like a fun job.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
I would love to work at a Ford assembly plant it sounds like a fun job.
:icon_confused:I wouldnt call it fun!

The first 15yrs sucked, the last 7 havent been horrible....

The last group of 20 people we hired a month ago only 9 havent quit yet. Its not work for everybody.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Will have a small diesel for sure, probably a 5 cyl, and a 4 cyl ecoboost, no doubt.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Will have a small diesel for sure, probably a 5 cyl, and a 4 cyl ecoboost, no doubt.
It would not surprise me if they skip the diesel for the US market. None of the other manufacturers have had a huge success trying to sell light trucks here with a diesel and if they offer the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 that would be just as capable as a diesel for towing with less routine maintenance and lower fuel costs. Ford has already announced that the 2nd gen 2.7 in the 2018 F-150 will be up to 400 lb ft of torque.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would not surprise me if they skip the diesel for the US market. None of the other manufacturers have had a huge success trying to sell light trucks here with a diesel and if they offer the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 that would be just as capable as a diesel for towing with less routine maintenance and lower fuel costs. Ford has already announced that the 2nd gen 2.7 in the 2018 F-150 will be up to 400 lb ft of torque.
F-150 is getting a diesel for 2018.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
F-150 is getting a diesel for 2018.
And the F-150 is a much higher volume vehicle than anyone should expect the Ranger to be. The percentage of diesel sales on the F-150 is more likely to justify the development and certification costs of a diesel. My guess is the only reason they made that decision was to compete with Ram for the full-size fuel mileage title and not because they needed the extra sales volume.
Toyota does not offer a diesel in the Tacoma and they are the current mid-size class sales leader.
Just about everyone who offers diesel powertrains is facing some sort of legal issue whether it be from the EPA or class action law suits.
I personally have a hard time seeing any advantages of a diesel in this size truck in the North American market and especially not when you have a comparable, if not superior, option with EcoBoost.
Diesel makes perfect sense if you have a constant need to tow or haul heavy loads and do it more than 25,000 miles per year. That's what they make the F-series Super Duty and 6.7L Powerstroke diesels for. Totally different market.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
My contacts within the plant are telling me it will carry a 3.5 v6,3.2 5cyl diesel and a 2.3 eco.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals