• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ford 9 inch locker options?

RebelAssaultTruk

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
just threw a ford 9 inch in the rear, its going in the shop for regearing this weekend i was hoping to find a locker for it, but im on a budget...any ideas what my options are for maybe $3-400 or even less? any recommendations greatly appreciated

RebelAssaultTruk

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok i just ordered it...thanks a lot man! that was a good deal. is aussie a good name? i was gonna go with a cheap one from 4wheelparts.com but im happy for the recommendation

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
(Just from what I've read) the Aussie lockers are of higher quality and smoother function compared to Lock-Rights. Guess they're about as smooth as the No-Slips, but at only half the price. I wish they made one for the 7.5! Plus they seem to have a much better warranty on their product compared to the other guys. Good luck man!

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
ok i just ordered it...thanks a lot man! that was a good deal. is aussie a good name? i was gonna go with a cheap one from 4wheelparts.com but im happy for the recommendation

Yeah, an Aussie is good as far as lunchbox lockers go...

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ive heard theyre great. im putting one in the d35 when it arrives.

BeaterMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 4.6, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
yea there great. i got one in my d35 and have no problems at all and it is really simple to install. good choice :icon_thumby:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
(Just from what I've read) the Aussie lockers are of higher quality and smoother function compared to Lock-Rights. Guess they're about as smooth as the No-Slips, but at only half the price. I wish they made one for the 7.5! Plus they seem to have a much better warranty on their product compared to the other guys. Good luck man!
It is smoother than my old lock-right from my initial impressions. I wouldn't call it no-slip smooth, the no-slip has a few extra parts that disengage the couplers and such making it smoother.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ahh good to know I wasn't aware of that

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you check to make sure you have 31 spline axles the EB 76 9 inch i have has 28spline axles. I looked on aussie site and only seen a locker for the 31 spline axles? just asking so you dont go through putting it in and all then the axles not sliden in and you bein like WTF. Ive had it happen it sucks lol

RebelAssaultTruk

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well my rear ends supposed to b a 79 f150......so that will work yea? besides its a full width, unlike eb f9 right?

1988broncoll

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeap it should be 31 spline if its out a full size i thought i read it was out of a EB sorry about that my eyes where playin tricks on me

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
why not a spool? Other than in u turns and parking lots and a spool is easier to drive on the street than a locker.As they as more predictable around normal driving corners and such.And they are only 150-200 in general.
U-turns and parking lots are not really that much worse than a locker.granted you can feather a locker to be sorta freindly in u turns and parking lots, but most the time that dont seem to be the case.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I'll be the first to say that spools/welded diffs are kick-ass for off-highway/trail rigs. If he does any significant amount of his driving on road, however, he will likely begin to hate the spool and wish he'd gotten a locker. Lockers are better IMO on street/offroad rigs because they allow the axleshafts to unload in the form of allowing one wheel to spin faster than the other around a corner. In a spooled/welded "differential" (an oxymoron of sorts), the rear end has no way to unload and your tires will skip, hop or scrub to take up the slack around most every corner taken. Lockers allow for a much, much tighter turning radius in parking lots, when doing u-turns etc., for the very same reason. They aren't too horribly difficult to get the hang of, either. All it takes is throttle control and a little restraint.

Mini spools are dirt cheap for the 9in (about $20 last time I checked on Randy's) but I think a locker would more than pay for itself in extended tire life, rear-end parts and just plain drivability in the long run. Just my .02

RebelAssaultTruk

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
definitely....i couldnt spool it i do too much street driving. i would end up tearing the hell outa my tires, and when i run on frozen roads or black ice sneaks up on me, yes a locker will be pretty sketchy(i figure i have to just learn how my truck handles in those conditions with a locker) but a spool will offer no hope for frozen roads. im trying to build my truck as a serious capable offroad vehicle, but still very road friendly. which is why im putting a front sway bar on it....why i hav all the stock comfort components intact, electric seats and heater n whatever else...but thats what im going for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals