• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 9 inch ABS question and e-brake

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
I've done an a 9 inch axle swap on my 91 Explorer. This is part of my Dana 44 SAS conversion (Both pulled from a 78 bronco). I have the axle installed, but no way of reconnecting the ABS sensor to the the 9 inch. Has anyone out there managed to modify the 9 inch to accept the reluctor ring and sensor???

I've contacted Moser regarding the new Mustangs 9 inch axles they carry, but I was told that the axle components are too different to use/adapt. I would like to keep the ABS if possible.

Also, I'm in the middle of trying to rig up the e-brake to work. All I have are the original e-brake pieces from the 8.8, and are now looking to adapt these on the 9 inch. Any other parts I can use?? I don't have any of the e-brake stuff from the 9 inch.

I know I'm not alone!!!!! I hope.

Pics would be a huge help.

Thanks for the help!!!!

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
From my research, I haven't seen or heard of anything to adapt or use to make the abs work. Just remove the ABS, I can't even lock up my tires even if I tried.

Can't help you with the ebrake though, I have discs on mine and it was straight forward, just make a bracket for the cable.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Somewhere I saw someone had rigged up a sensor on the rear of their transfer case (grinding notches around the edge of the output flange for the sensor to 'see').

Is using a fullsize 8.8" out of the question? That's the way I'd probably go with it on this.

jzranger4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. This is a tough subject. I will keep researching and see if it can be done.

I haven't had any issues without ABS so far, and for now I will keep my setup as is.

4x4 Junkie I will look into the transfer case solution. That may be the easiest way to rig up something that may work that doesn't involve spending a ton of $$$$$$$$

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual

the tone ring can be put in to the 9inch. I know a few people that can/will do it.One of the problems most dont like about it, is that you have to take some meat out of the 3rd member.Alot of the camaro/firebird drag racers do this when they swap in 9's.

what most do is remote mount the sensor. curt leduc, california pre fun(google it) has a kit for the full size broncs f150 may have one for the ranger as well.

brea auto electric (google it) also has a kit.

Cant rember if it was on dezertrangers.com or race-dezert.com was a guy using a sprocket with the right amont of teeth and spacing off the drive shaft. search "tone ring" on both those boards and I bet you will find it.

heres a link to get you on the right track.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146744

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
one more note on the subject, of remote vs internal, if you going to be swamp running, inteal may be the way to go,so the sensor dose not get gloged up with muck etc......just somethign to think about.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals