3ncrypt3d

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Trying to figure out all I need to do to swap gears on a 97 ranger with 3.27 gears in a L/S 8.8. I’m wanting to switch to 4.88 gears since I have a 4 banger and 32 inch tires. I read on some forum (I think and explorer one) that is need a notched center pin. Would it be better just to get 4.56 gears? Or would I run into the same issue there. I believe a 4.10 would be enough to get those tires moving, but I do go wheeling quite often. Mostly dirt/mud trails. Any help would be appreciated!

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't use notched cross pins, they've been known to break occasionally (they also don't function correctly with some drop-in style lockers).
Instead what I do is simply grind a tiny amount from the tip of the interfering gear tooth (usually between 0.5-2mm), just barely enough so that you can slide your original solid pin past it.

If grinding gear teeth makes you cringe... Don't. It's actually a common procedure (google ring gear tooth grinding, your should find plenty of info out there about it). The portion of the tooth to be ground away never contacts the pinion gear, and so does not affect strength or operation in any way.

I did this on mine 15 years ago with 5.13 gears.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I notched the very tiny tip of a tooth when I did my 4.56 gear install. But under abuse ( :ROFLMAO: ) from a 4 whizzer, I don't think you'll run into cross-pin breakage issues. I have 4.56's and 29's, 4.88's would probably be better for a 32" tire. Mine's technically a little on the steep side, but I love them. %100 glad I did it.

Ultimately, as long as the ground spot is outside of the contact patch, grind the tooth. The outer part of the tooth doesn't take any load, it's only there because it technically needs to end somewhere.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Old Redneck just wingin' it.
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I Ground the teeth on mine. (8.8" 31 spline w/ 4.56 gears and Aussie Locker)