• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 7.5 tire question

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
Will the 7.5 be able to handle 32" tall tractor tires? Im considering ditching my Ltbs that are on the back for something with more grip since I have no bed for rear weight but dont want to break axles until I can afford to start my 44/9 swap next winter...

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
the 7.5 will hold up just fine. As always I recommend you carry gear lube and spare shafts. I know of a few people off hand who have ran welded 7.5s with 33s-34s without failure.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The ford 7.5 isn't given as much credit as it deserves, I have tried to break a few of them and failed. Usually something else will break before the axle in my experience.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
The front axle will break first if I use ltbs all the way around just wasnt sure if the extra bite is gonna make it snap it has a detroit locker in it right now. The truck is mostly pulling off the front axle so Im going to try and get some rear biite to make the d28 last a little longer .

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have run mine with 32's and 33's with no problems whatsoever. I would keep it but I already have a 31 spline 8.8 with discs. That and I do think the 7.5 may have trouble keeping up with a 302.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
well the tires I have are currently 34" LTBS but they actually measure 32" from ground to top of tire with 10 psi.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have run mine with 32's and 33's with no problems whatsoever. I would keep it but I already have a 31 spline 8.8 with discs. That and I do think the 7.5 may have trouble keeping up with a 302.
The Mustang guys lock 7.5s and 28 spline 8.8s (same axles) all the time without failure. My brothers 93LX 5.0 lays down stripes (LS rear) and ran 12.7s in the quarter mile without any axle modifications. He is/was running 150 shot of nitrous, Cobra intake, 21? lb injectors, headers (not sure of brand), 2.5 inch exhaust (not sure of brand), etc. The only reason it is parked is he keeps killing the AOD tranny and cant pass emissions.

If I could remember his Dyno numbers I would post them.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The Mustang guys lock 7.5s and 28 spline 8.8s (same axles) all the time without failure. My brothers 93LX 5.0 lays down stripes (LS rear) and ran 12.7s in the quarter mile without any axle modifications. He is/was running 150 shot of nitrous, Cobra intake, 21? lb injectors, headers (not sure of brand), 2.5 inch exhaust (not sure of brand), etc. The only reason it is parked is he keeps killing the AOD tranny and cant pass emissions.

If I could remember his Dyno numbers I would post them.

Rocks are completely different than pavement though, and getting deep gears for a 7.5 is stupid for my application because it's so small. I do like the ground clearance though.

Not trying to argue or anything of course, just sayin. I have seen a couple guys break hardened shafts in a hi-9 setup so mine would be bound for failure eventually.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Rocks are completely different than pavement though, and getting deep gears for a 7.5 is stupid for my application because it's so small. I do like the ground clearance though.

Not trying to argue or anything of course, just sayin. I have seen a couple guys break hardened shafts in a hi-9 setup so mine would be bound for failure eventually.
I understand, you are welcome to play "devils advocate", typically that is my role. Everything WILL break, but IF you can get a 31 spline 8.8 disk brake axle for under 200 dollars you are starting off with a MUCH better axle.

I agree, rocks are MUCH different than pavement but keep in mind the torque numbers with a "built" 5.0 can put out are rather high. I do realize that a 4wd vehicle in low ranger puts out significantly greater torque than the same vehicle in high range. Keep in mind, to break a shaft it requires significant resistance & power(torque). Shaft failure requires the engine/gearing to be capable of twisting/snapping the shaft before enough force is created to spin the tire(s). In the case of a rear axle it takes SIGNIFICANTLY more force to break a shaft than with a front axle because it lacks the 4 yokes and 2 u-joints (at least 2). In most cases with locked axles you will need a significantly more stout front axle than rear because of the issues that come along with being able to steer a front axle. In most cases a locked d35 will fail before a locked 7.5 for the reasons mentioned.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
From what I've read, the weak spot in the 7.5 is the spider gears. If it's welded or locked, it should hold up fine.

88rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
My 7.5 had held up fairly good for I've put it through. Like Sunk said the only problem I had were the spipder gears stripped and broke my s-clip in my trac-loc.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The OP mentioned that he's running a detroit in his 7.5, which eliminates the axles' weak spot. He should be just fine running tractor tires with that setup.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals