• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford 3.7L V-6: Anyone thought of this as a swap option?

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I asked this a while back over at www.rangerpowersports.com, didn't sound like anyone had heard of one being done and at the time I had just decided to roll forward with putting another 4.0L SOHC V-6 in my '03 Ranger when the time comes.

Fast forward a year or two, was just wondering if anyone has looked at the viability of say a F-150 3.7L V-6 being swapped into our Ranger platform?

I looked online for a size comparison and couldn't find one, same same for trans match up info. The power numbers along with what I'd think weight reduction seem like it'd be a great swap.

Any info would be appreciated...

Chuck

P.S. Short of this, greengeeker's thread is looking very promising...

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
trans match up info.
what I can tell you is that the 4.0 is part of the cologne v6 engine family. this family is the 2.8/2.9/4.0 OHV/4.0SOHC these are the only engines that ford produced with that bellhousing bolt pattern

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't suppose we'd be so lucky as to have an F-150 3.7L engine+tranny combo fit in our trucks? Or, would an adapter plate of some sort work?

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
an entire trans/t-case swap from a full size has been done over, and over.....and over

use the search function

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting, will do. Too bad the 3.7L wouldn't just bolt right up... :(

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The problem with the 3.7 is the fact they are pretty damn new, and there are not many in the wreckers or anything yet.

Give it another 5 years, and we'll have some bitchin' 3.7l EcoBoost Rangers Im sure.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
^^ yes, they are new. which makes them rare, and "rare" means expensive

I can't help but to think that a 4.0 OHC on boost would put the same hp/torque numbers, or better seeing as how they are 210hp naturally aspirated.

it wouldn't have the "ecoboost" name, and likely wouldn't have the awesome mileage an ecoboost advertises. but hey according to recent findings, apparently, neither do the ecoboosts :icon_rofl:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The 6R80 trans bolted to the 3.7 in the trucks has a large bell but overall is smaller than a ZF, which I know have been put in Rangers by a few people.

The one thing I will say about this idea, as I have said before, is go drive something else with a 3.7 in it before even thinking about this. I know they look impressive on paper, but i have been sorely disappointed by the 3.7 in everything I have driven it in. For the work involved the 3.5 turbo would be a far more satisfying result. Same trans, same bell, and I know people have put bigger stuff in smaller places.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
cammeddrz;1369313 it wouldn't have the "ecoboost" name said:
but hey according to recent findings, apparently, neither do the ecoboosts [/I] :icon_rofl:
Ecoboost mileage is all about how you drive it. I know how to drive them for max economy, and could probably get 25 MPG or better if I really tried.

On the other hand, I know how I drive, and in real life I would not get 25, I would get 12 and a bunch of speeding tickets.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Heck, I was just thinking more along the lines of fuel economy along with power plus moderninity. With such a swap if I had an engine issue I could potentially go into the Ford stealership and tell them to diagnose it as a 2011 F-150. I guess I could do the same thing with a VW diesel swap like greengeeker is doing, well, sorta.

Even the 3.5 from the Mustang would fit the bill, an EB 3.5 wasn't even on my radar...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mustang didn't get a 3.5. Mustang has a 3.7.

The only vehicles I know of that got the non-turbo 3.5 were the Edge, Explorer, Fusion, and Taurus.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Shoot you're right! Still hoping someone with the know how/access does a compare, would be interesting to see.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The one thing I will say about this idea, as I have said before, is go drive something else with a 3.7 in it before even thinking about this. I know they look impressive on paper, but i have been sorely disappointed by the 3.7 in everything I have driven it in. For the work involved the 3.5 turbo would be a far more satisfying result. Same trans, same bell, and I know people have put bigger stuff in smaller places.
The 2011 3.7 Mustang was just a hair slower in the quarter than a 2010 4.6 Mustang...

I watched an automatic Mustang with 2.XX gears pummel the snot out of two late model LS1/2 GTO's in the 1/8 mile one night.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The problem with the 3.7 is the fact they are pretty damn new, and there are not many in the wreckers or anything yet.

Give it another 5 years, and we'll have some bitchin' 3.7l EcoBoost Rangers Im sure.
^^ yes, they are new. which makes them rare, and "rare" means expensive

I can't help but to think that a 4.0 OHC on boost would put the same hp/torque numbers, or better seeing as how they are 210hp naturally aspirated.

it wouldn't have the "ecoboost" name, and likely wouldn't have the awesome mileage an ecoboost advertises. but hey according to recent findings, apparently, neither do the ecoboosts :icon_rofl:

3.7 has been a cost effective swap since just a few months after the 150's got them.

the ecoboost was literally hotrodded before it was widely released, which looked promising. the real issue is ford wont give full access to the tuners with the current software/hardware architecture. makes ford a bunch of douchebags to me. this is changing.

you have a hybrid situation of running mustang electronics if you want to run a manual 4x4 application and live in the sticks. even running a 4x4 complete system with an automatic from a 150 takes a bit more work then i initially concluded after picking through some pullouts a few years back.

to do a pullout swap i have it around 33-3600 at the moment. if i had the cash the b2 would be running that setup or a small diesel. i am trying to get the costs to half.

only thing stopping it is because of my current health/medical situation and employment capacity.

those will change one way or another.

The 6R80 trans bolted to the 3.7 in the trucks has a large bell but overall is smaller than a ZF, which I know have been put in Rangers by a few people.

i was surprised by that initially from you a bit back. but i hold it as a barometer.....one thing i dont like is the shifty little freewheeling asshat programming of the auto in the mustangs.....they bring the gay for sure....the trucks are not too much better.

i figure to program those issues to taste but the bigger places i been working with just are not interested in this because its balls to the wall on the flex and taurus and stangs.

driving the powertrains back to back with a stock f series 302 or 4.6 they shame the v8's to me. i mean its pretty bad all around. a reg cab 3.7 up against a 92 bronco was bad....no chance for the bronco at all.

the mustangs were pulling 25-27 abusively..sometimes lower and higher of course....hi teens in the 150 not trying. :dunno: seems pretty good to me.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
they did ok at the dunes last week too, i was over there working.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals