• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For those of you who're into 302 strokers, looking for Mexican blocks............

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I picked up 4 302's yesterday, one was a mexican block, one was a D8VE-6015-A3A casting, which turned out to be a clone of the Mex block after I dis-assembled it. The only difference between the two is the absence of the two bolt bosses on the front of the block that help to I'd a Mex block. I weighed both, the Mex block was 136 lbs, the D8VE was 135 lbs, but it's also a 60 overbore vs the Mex's std bores. Of the other 2 blocks, one is a C8OE casting, the other I suspect is an early 80's block as it's got an aluminum 2 bbl intake. When I get the C8 block torn down, I'm going to weigh it and see how it compares to the Mex/D8VE blocks. Both blocks will go up for sale as soon as I can get em both mag'd. Although the D8VE block is 60 over, the walls are thick enough to go another 20, and make a 356 inch stroker with a 3.4 crank.

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wondered how thick the walls were on the D8VE's I've got one that was a marine engine. It's currently .030 with rust pits but will clean at .050.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I wondered how thick the walls were on the D8VE's I've got one that was a marine engine. It's currently .030 with rust pits but will clean at .050.
Does yours have the thick main caps ? I wish I'd have gotten the casting suffix off the first D8VE block I had, but it definately had the smaller main caps. Even so, the std main caps (I don't think) were ever a weak link. Anyway I was surprised to see this one had the big caps when I pulled the pan off.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What does a standard 302 block weigh?

I have a D8VE-6015-A3A block all greased up sitting in a plastic tote waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Even have a set of E7 heads for it.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What does a standard 302 block weigh?

I have a D8VE-6015-A3A block all greased up sitting in a plastic tote waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Even have a set of E7 heads for it.
That's the same casting I have now. 86-2001 roller blocks weigh 126 lbs. 1980 to 85 blocks weigh 120. Take that block punch it 60 and stroke it with a 3.4 crank and you've got Ford's fifth 352 motor.

bearsrngr

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does yours have the thick main caps ? I wish I'd have gotten the casting suffix off the first D8VE block I had, but it definately had the smaller main caps. Even so, the std main caps (I don't think) were ever a weak link. Anyway I was surprised to see this one had the big caps when I pulled the pan off.
Yes, mine has the heavy main caps and the quality of cast is much better than most, not as pourros and less casting edges.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Here's an update to this thread: I just picked up that D8VE block I gave away a couple years ago with the std main caps. The suffix for this block is 3A where the suffix for the Hi-po main capped D8VE blck is A3A. So there is a way to I'd the Hi-po main block without removing the oil pan.

rotarystud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 litre gas guzzler
Transmission
Automatic
what does the explorer's have for a block? i have that engine in my truck now. i want to go get another engine stroke and build it up. any suggestions ?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer's have a roller cam block that weighs 10 pounds less than the D8VE/Mexican/289 Hi-po block. I'm running an 89 roller block with my 331, zero problems with it for 7 years now. But I do not abuse it, it's been to 7,000 rpms a few times, 6500 more than a few times. But it gets run about once a month now and has been for quite a few years. If you're going to do some serious racing with a stroker motor, the D8VE/Mex/289 Hi-po blocks should be used at a minimum to build one. Otherwise the late roller blocks are fine for most purposes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals