• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

For a 1987 2wd front end, how much caster adj needed for a 2 inch drop coil cut? (in degrees approx)

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Want to make sure that a 2 inch drop will be completely corrected by a 2.25 degree corrective bushing (or less), anyone with experience in how far out a typical 2 inch coil cut on an otherwise completely stock front end will produce??

Is there a better spring than my old 1987 springs to install before cutting them for improved ride quality after the cut (is a worn spring better than a 4wd, or new OEM spring for cutting??)

Thanks in advance.... Ive never lowered ANYTHING my by ears before.........

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I haven't been around the ranger suspensions too much. But have been around the f150 twin-I-beams. On those if you go over 1.5 inches with the springs, they can't correct it on most trucks. What I have seen of the ranger suspension, they are just a miniature version of the f150. I suspect the same may hold true with those also.

On the larger trucks you have to spend the bucks and get the dropped front beams. Here's a article I found on this site. Apparently they are getting away with a 2 inch drop. I bet it's borderline though.

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I read that several times before posting as it makes no mention of camber correction or camber/caster errors for various methods.

I researched the f150 and found a multitude of hits on C/C correction but there in lies my issue. Nobody on a ranger has stated they have been able to restore OE camber/caster for a 2 inch drop.

the dream beams are fine but….. too much drop for my needs. I know, what’s an inch??? It’s a lot!!!!
I’d like a 2 inch drop in front and 3 in back, w/o loss of geometry.
Is there a potential for a dream beam for 3 inch and use some kind of coil spring block to keep it from collapsing the extra inch? I think they get used for lift kits.
Dunno- just throwing oil at the wall to see what sticks.
3 inch is too much.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The alignment machine calculates the eccentric bushing needed to get a certain vehicle in spec. Each truck is a little different. And the bushing is not just correcting camber but caster at the same time ( I think you knew this already). So you have to get both in spec at the same time using the same bushing. Only the alignment machine can calculate this accurately and tell the tech which bushing is needed.

I think you need to find yourself a good shop that has an alignment rack and that will work with you. Most alignment shops don't even want to fool with the twin I beam suspension, they just set the toe and that's it.

Once you get it dropped, if you can find a shop that you can talk to and tell them what is going on, then they might work with you. Possibly get a selection of bushings and send the others back? Put your truck on the rack, see what it needs, have a set up charge for that, order the bushings, and then bring it back and get them installed? Or install them yourself and then take it back in?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I know that when lifting, once you get more than an inch or 1.5" spacer under the spring, you can't find camber bushings to compensate. I would think lowering would be in the same range.

Also, remember that adjusting spring height by 1" gives more than 1" of change in vehicle height because the springs are a good distance inboard of where the wheels are.

Last edited:

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
I have 3" dream beams on my 87 and it isn't as low as u think.these trucks sit pretty high from the factory.if your worried about bottoming out or something like that.keep it on pavement and not off-road with it.lol.this is my 1987 with 3" beams in front and flip kit in the rear.adjusters I have on it is 0 degree on passenger side 1 degree on the driverside.hope this helps.

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd recommend dropped I beams or spindles, if you lower it by cutting coils you'll lose a ton of suspension travel. Unless your roads are really smooth you'll regret it.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
@corerftech I have a NIB drop kit for your truck (2" drop coils & 3" lowering blocks) in the Parts For Sale forum, if you decide to go with a lowering kit. I cannot answer your questing regarding the caster/camber eccentric bushings tho. LMK if you're interested.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals