• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fog Light Location on a 89 XLT?

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Fellow Rangers,

Where could I put a pair of fog lights on this truck without drilling into the bumper? All ideas are welcome.

Also, brand and source recommendations for the fog lights are welcome.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
You can get a factory style fog light facia off ebay for around $30. It attaches to the bottom of the bumper in place of the chin spoiler. You can then use a factory style fog light. But you will have to fab your own mounting bracket, because the factory brackets are near impossible to find.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fog lights work best when they are closer to the ground, but there are practical considerations, like when you park, lol, those parking blocks can take their toll

But below bumper level is the best place, the yellow light is used because there is less refection from the fog, the lower level is because of "ground effect", fog is less dense the closer it is to the ground, "in most cases", so a lower light placement may allow the beams to travel farther out

There are all sorts of clamps made for this, you can clamp to bumper, to the frame rail on back of bumper, to ???, up to you really

Google: fog light bumper clamp

And you will get the general idea of whats out there

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Speed bumps and parking blocks be damned!! LOL.

I like the idea of clamps on the bracket and bumper. I really don’t want to put holes in the bumper and give rust a chance. I’m going to keep the chin spoiler. Mine is in great shape and I want to keep the truck as original as possible.

Yellow lights were my first choice. Any suggestions on wiring and placement of the switch inside the cab?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will use a 12v 30amp relay in the engine bay, the switch will GROUND the relay, so you just need 1 wire into the cab

12v-----relay coil----------------------------------(cab/firewall)--------switch--------cab ground

You can use a "light up switch" so you don't forget its on

Or use Key on power for the relay coil, it only draws 1/2amp, .05 amps

Run a FUSED wire from battery terminal to relay's Load terminal, then 1 wire to each fog light from the other LOAD terminal

Fuse will be rated for the lights you chose, same for the wire size

Wire into cab can be smaller gauge

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You will use a 12v 30amp relay in the engine bay, the switch will GROUND the relay, so you just need 1 wire into the cab

12v-----relay coil----------------------------------(cab/firewall)--------switch--------cab ground

You can use a "light up switch" so you don't forget its on

Or use Key on power for the relay coil, it only draws 1/2amp, .05 amps

Run a FUSED wire from battery terminal to relay's Load terminal, then 1 wire to each fog light from the other LOAD terminal

Fuse will be rated for the lights you chose, same for the wire size

Wire into cab can be smaller gauge
Thanks. Once I get them I’m sure to be back with more questions.

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
FYI and in the spirit of sharing with my fellow Rangers.

MrTailLight.com sells a 89-92 Ranger Lower Bumper Valance w/ Fog Light Holes for $24.99. This is what I’m buying to help solve my fog light placement concern. I’m sure I’ll still need a fog light bumper clamp but this will solve my concern about the placement and look. Not to mention I don’t have to cut anything to install the lights.

Once I get the valance I’ll determine the size fog light that will fit the holes and surf the web until I find the right one. I can imagine the amber lights on my 89 now!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The PO of my 88 Bronco 2 had a towbar on the front, the brackets were still on the bumper so I used them as a mounting point for my fog lights. They work great at that location. The lights are actually a set of fog lights from Harbor Freight...they've been working great the past couple years. I do need to wire in a relay though so they only can be turned on when the ignition key is on, right now they'll turn on anytime you turn the switch on.

Attachments

Ranger101

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sharp truck wildbill23c!! I’ll see what Harbor Freight has to offer once I put the valance on and check the fog light hole size.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals