• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fm145 Sloppy Shifter.

ClodSlayer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cyl. 2.3 liter
Transmission
Manual
So I've got the mitsubishi fm145, 4w drive hooked up to the 2.3L gasoline engine.
Model #: FM145
Assy No: E67A7003FB
Build code: 025132
The shifter has been real sloppy, and in taking off the boot and stuff, I found that the source of this sloppiness is the blue plastic ball at the end of the shift lever. (Pretty worn) So after a Google search didn't turn up anything, I called the friendly neighborhood Ford dealer. First weird thing, when the guy looked up the Assy No, he said it brought up a FM146. Then after a while, he said that there were no serviceable parts in the shifter area. So my question is this: was he just BSing me, or is there actually no serviceable parts? If there is actually no serviceable parts, how do I go about jerry-rigging this thing to not be so sloppy, or do I just have to live with it?
Thanks!
-Nick

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are what I like to refer to as "screwed".

The whole shifter is needed to replace the teflon ball and it has been out of production for years.

ClodSlayer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4cyl. 2.3 liter
Transmission
Manual
You are what I like to refer to as "screwed".
Well shoot, guess my best bet is to find all the vehicles that this particular tranny was used in and hope to high heaven that the local junkyard has one that's in better shape than mine... Unless there's a way to MacGyver it?
-Nick

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As a machinist, I can say that given time and money, anything is possible! The first step is obtaining a Ford blueprint of the part, with all the dimensions including the material callout. I would guess the original part was an injection molded part. The cost to build a new mold would be thousands, even if our "friends" in Asia build it. The next less expensive method would be using a cnc lathe to make the parts. This may be able to be made with a "rapid prototyping" 3D printer. Any solution needs that blueprint and material spec. Any members out there with an "in" at Ford that can get the necessary info? If someone has a new part, it could be reverse engineered. If I had a cnc lathe, this would be a project I would attempt, but I don't. If someone would provide a print, I could get some quotes. Of course, running several hundred/thousand parts would require the ability to sell the extras. Food for thought.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well damn my FM145/146 knowledge incompetence!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals