• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FM145 Input shaft play

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Greetings folks. I picked up a used FM145 for my '86 BII. There is a bit of play in the input shaft, like .010 or so. My question: is that normal or is that an indicator that it has excessive wear? The truck it was pulled from had 129K on it.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd probably run it. Those transmissions are kind of notorious for eating input bearings but I have rebuilt a couple and even those had a small amount of play there as well. There is another bearing inside the input shaft that can cause that slop though and it will also make a whining noise in all the forward gears except 4th if it's worn enough.

Valvoline Synchromesh MTF works really well in these, I would highly recommend it over gear lube.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks. That was what I was hoping to do. My current unit is a screamer so I'm hoping this one is better.

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm getting back around to this. I was concentrating on getting the interior back in it so I could recover some space in the shop/house. Anyway, noises have gotten worse so I need to get this done. Before I order a clutch kit... How / when is the 4.0 clutch upgrade worth it? I don't plan on doing much if anything to the stock 2.9 but I do plan on doing some trail junk with it. I've got a locker for the front and the rear is already a limited slip, I figure it'll end up with 31" tires on it after the lift is installed. I'm assuming my pressure plate is fine and the starter works so those are the only real differences in cost as far as the upgrade.

So is the 4.0 clutch worth it for a mostly stock BII?
Any tips for doing the clutch job? (This will be my first)
Do I need to replace the slave cylinder if it works and isn't leaking?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Others will probably disagree but I don't think the 4.0 clutch is worthwhile for a mostly stock vehicle.

Yes, replace the slave unless you know it's been replaced recently.

My tip is to plug the end of the hydraulic hose when you remove it from the slave, do not let fluid run out of it for very long or it will run the system dry and you'll have a hell of a time bleeding the air out

mnewman

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
BII, Rangers
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Shran. I went ahead and ordered the 4.0 clutch, flywheel and starter. Although now that I think about it I ordered the slave for a 4.0... Not sure if should have stuck with the 2.9 stock version. I guess I will find out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals