• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FM145/146/132 front and rear bearing pullers

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
@Shran , thank you very much for the response. It is most helpful, especially the tool comments. I hope to tackle this on mine later on this summer.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
@Shran , thank you very much for the response. It is most helpful, especially the tool comments. I hope to tackle this on mine later on this summer.
I finished up my FM-145 rebuild and have put a couple hundred miles on it so far - apart from a leak at the bottom cover, it's working great. Valvoline MTF was the fluid I used.

I'm just about done with an FM-146 rebuild as well that will be similar to yours. Couple differences and one major thing that the manual was dead wrong about:

#1 is the manual says you need a 30mm socket for the countershaft nut... wrong... mine was 29mm.
#2 is in reference to the 5th/reverse poppet ball, spring and threaded plug. The manual says to adjust the threaded plug so that it is 0.24" deep in the bore. That measurement is CORRECT for an FM-145 but NOT for an FM-146 (probably FM-132 as well.) If you put it in that deep, it locks up the 5th/rev shift rail. Why the difference? Who knows. Seems like my FM-145 had a smaller ball there.
#3 is that I cannot find the correct shifter housing/top cover seal anywhere. My bearing kit did not come with the right seal and it's apparently NLA. Probably will have to use a big glob of RTV there.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Shran- thank you very much for the great detail on what you found in going through yours.

Mine's still sitting there, but I'm anxious to get the old B2 back on the road.

Glad to hear that the FM-145 looks to have been a success.

gearfather

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That's probably what I would do... will require a partial teardown in your case... remove the tailhousing and the 5th/rev cluster is right there. I'd at minimum buy the repair bearing and sleeve... and just inspect 5th, reverse and the synchro hub & sleeve between them, replace if necessary. You will need new main shaft and countershaft nuts and a 41mm tool of some sort to torque the main shaft nut.

I have bought 99% of my transmission parts from ebay... a couple sellers, usa.industries, acerl, spark-surplus and finditparts usually have what I need.

If you service manuals or parts catalogs, PM me, I have a bunch of PDFs saved but I don't think I can publicly post them.
before i retired (again) i owned a production rebuilding company that did 4200-4400 manuals trans a year. (no retail, bench builds only). from approx 1989-2002 we built roughly 225-325 of the ford mitz units. they are not difficult at all.....we had our customers run 50wt motor oil in them and did not have any lube issues at all....just don.t drive them at 25mph in 5th gear and you should be fine.. if you need any help or parts, give me a call at 612-309-3999

GriffinM6

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches
Tire Size
235/75r15
Awesome info for fm146 repairs. Have one from my 89 mostly torn into because of gears howling. Swapped a second into it so I can take my time on rebuilding it. So far I've planned on getting 5th gear update, 5th gear plus kit BK151AWS with bearings, seals, gaskets and syncros. Any recommendations on parts to grab or best way to do it? I believe I have all the tools needed minus the 41mm

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Awesome info for fm146 repairs. Have one from my 89 mostly torn into because of gears howling. Swapped a second into it so I can take my time on rebuilding it. So far I've planned on getting 5th gear update, 5th gear plus kit BK151AWS with bearings, seals, gaskets and syncros. Any recommendations on parts to grab or best way to do it? I believe I have all the tools needed minus the 41mm
Start tearing into it... replace anything that looks worn. Gearfather (post above yours) has parts for them, I have a bunch of PDF manuals and parts lists too if you need them. The main thing to replace for sure is that 5th gear bearing and sleeve.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals