• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flywheel question

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1996 4.0 5spd 4x4.

Changing out the clutch/slave.

My flywheel has what looks like little fractures all around the surface. I got lucky looking through my parts and found a fresh resurfaced one. Only problem is one of the pins is broken and was surfaced flat with the rest. The other two pins are pulled out but I think I can swap them from the old one. I'm not sure why it's like this, I can't remember anything specific about it.

I think I know the right answer to these questions already, but I'm looking for opinions or experience also... If I left the broken pin as is, would it be too far out of balance to use? Are the pins even needed, or can I just bolt it up without and leave the broken pin in? Go to Oreilly's and get $75 brand new one?

Also, is there a way to tell if the transmission is the one that came with the truck? I can't remember if I've swapped it or not.

Thanks!
Nice to be back here. It's been a while, again.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wait till you get a more complete answer but surely after resurfacing you'll need proper shims behind it to match up with your clutch travel. I just bought a new one last time, but it wasn't much difference in total cost and I was in a rush

Your ford dealer might tell from the VIN about your transmission unless it's identical model as the origional

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pins are to align pressure plate and hold it while you put bolts in

No, 1/2 a missing pin won't unbalance it

Don't recall seeing casting numbers on the M5OD-R1 transmission but there may be, and it will have the year the casting was made

Have look here to decode it: http://automotivemileposts.com/ford/fordpartnumbers.html

There may also be a metal tag on one of the tailshft bolts with a date code

Defective

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys.

5 minutes of researching the issues with resurfaced flywheels and not knowing anything about this one made me want to just buy the new one and be done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals