• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flywheel needed

pctghost

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am trying to find a new flywheel for my 84 ranger 4x4 and I am having no luck. I know I can have it resurfaced, but it looks like it has blue spots on it. Which I think means it has hardened spots that would make it no good. Any help would be appreciated.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Does your 2.8 have the pilot bearing in the flywheel or in the crank?

A 2.9 flywheel and clutch will bolt on the 2.8, though the input shaft of the transmission may be an issue depending on your pilot bearing situation.

I did find LUK LFW188, PERFECTION CLUTCH 50701 and Ford #E5TZ6375E, but those are listed as fitting an '85

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would have it resurfaced anyway and use it... a machine shop will give you an answer regarding whether or not you should, but speaking from experience, I have had some really gnarly looking flywheels ground and they look and work fine afterwards.

That may be a moot point, however, depending on how much it costs to resurface it. My local shop charges 40 bucks... the last brand new flywheel I got was $47 shipped to my door.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
IMO...
Support local as much as possible. I will pay up to 15% more for local. Its up to us to keep jobs local.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
IMO...
Support local as much as possible. I will pay up to 15% more for local. Its up to us to keep jobs local.
I totally agree... the couple decent places around me are just gone.

pctghost

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does your 2.8 have the pilot bearing in the flywheel or in the crank?

A 2.9 flywheel and clutch will bolt on the 2.8, though the input shaft of the transmission may be an issue depending on your pilot bearing situation.

I did find LUK LFW188, PERFECTION CLUTCH 50701 and Ford #E5TZ6375E, but those are listed as fitting an '85
Pilot bearing is in the crank

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1984 Bronco II, and am finding out the 84 and 85 where odd ducks. The manual transmissions were odd, and the flywheel and the hydraulic system for the clutch. They were all used just these few years, so they are very hard to find.

When I bought my Bronco, the manual trans was bad (5 speed toyo koyo). No one had that particular trans for that particular year so I did the nuclear option (which was the back up plan) and took the 5 speed out of my 1986 ranger pickup and used that. Had to use the 2.9 flywheel and clutch/slave system. But it dropped right in place. It was the Mitsu fm146 5 speed.

pctghost

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ended up getting a 2.9 flywheel for a 1986 ranger and it fit great, I just had to buy longer flywheel bolts.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
I am trying to find a new flywheel for my 84 ranger 4x4 and I am having no luck. I know I can have it resurfaced, but it looks like it has blue spots on it. Which I think means it has hardened spots that would make it no good. Any help would be appreciated.
Have you looked on Summit? Ive found a few flywheels on there for the 2.8L idk if anyone has said this yet but I know Rockauto is horrible for parts like that.

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I ended up getting a 2.9 flywheel for a 1986 ranger and it fit great, I just had to buy longer flywheel bolts.
Ghost, where did you get the longer flywheel bolts? I swapped a M5OD into my 84 b2, got a brand new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate from rock auto for a 93 Ranger 4.0l (tranny donor), but the bolts we got from rockauto don't even poke all the way though the flywheel and those are the one's they list for 93 4.0l

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ghost, where did you get the longer flywheel bolts? I swapped a M5OD into my 84 b2, got a brand new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate from rock auto for a 93 Ranger 4.0l (tranny donor), but the bolts we got from rockauto don't even poke all the way though the flywheel and those are the one's they list for 93 4.0l
I don't know the exact bolt you need, but I have been down this road with the exhaust manifold bolts. When I put new heads on my 2.9, I broke EVERY bolt off in the heads getting them off. I had to turn them back in for a core, oh well, I will let them figure that out. But I needed new metric bolts. I looked and looked and looked. I finally found them at my local Napa store for a reasonable price. Not many people have a good selection of metric bolts.

Broncomeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Finally found flywheel bolts on ebay, they were NOS but I only saw 3 sets on there so I snatched one of them up. If you are doing a M5od swap make sure you get the flywheel bolts off of the donor!!! BTW the part number is D4FZ-6379-C for the correct bolts

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
This link says those bolts are M10x1x20mm. https://www.npdlink.com/product/bolt-flywheel-to-crankshaft-m10-x-1-x/164957

I don't suppose you measured the bolts you bought. If they are m10x1x20 McMaster carr has them for $7.46 for a pack of 10. The 1mm is the pitch of the threads, these are considered extra fine threads on this bolt.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I think they’re metric M10x41. I don’t believe they’re a common thread, I think there is also a raised portion on the head.
41 would mean they are 41mm long. Seems like they are all 10 mm diameter though. I was looking at the 10mm bolts. 1.5 is the coarse thread pitch. 1.25mm is the fine thread pitch. 1.0mm is not very common and is a extra fine thread. From what I have found they are 1.0mm extra fine thread which would probably make them harder to find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals