• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flushing my power steering system MADE IT WORSE

Blue98Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How did this happen, ha ha. I even used expensive full synthetic mercon V and an anti-whine thing, but it whines even worse than before I changed it, and now it even slips and judders too! My guess is that I've introduced a bunch of air to the system somehow right? No fair; I watched the YouTube video on it and everything.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
How did this happen, ha ha. I even used expensive full synthetic mercon V and an anti-whine thing, but it whines even worse than before I changed it, and now it even slips and judders too! My guess is that I've introduced a bunch of air to the system somehow right? No fair; I watched the YouTube video on it and everything.
You may not believe me, do you have automatic hubs? or one of your hubs is locked? if so it puts a real drag on the front end like a gyroscope and also makes the power steering work a whole lot harder mine was leaking until we basically rebuilt the whole front end with manual locking hubs

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I watched the YouTube video on it and everything.
Priceless last words! :icon_rofl:

Generally you just need to put the front on jack stands and turn the wheels back and forth to full lock about 15 times while making sure the fluid level doesn't drop too much. But if you get air stuck in the rack itself it can be a major pain to get out and I recommend using a vacuum pump on the reservoir.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Priceless last words! :icon_rofl:

Generally you just need to put the front on jack stands and turn the wheels back and forth to full lock about 15 times while making sure the fluid level doesn't drop too much. But if you get air stuck in the rack itself it can be a major pain to get out and I recommend using a vacuum pump on the reservoir.
THIS.

A vacuum pulled on the reservoir while trying to bleed it will help pull air to the top, and help pull the bubbles out once they do come to the top.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yep, back and forth a few times with the engine running to burp out any air.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I agree about pulling a vacume on the reservor. Get a cap for the reservor at the bone yard and add a vacuun fitting then add two fittings to the top of a jar then connect it with a tee to the manifold vacuume fitting so the jar catches any oil that gets sucked up from the bubbling oil. It took about 20 minutes for my pump to quiet down and still good over five years.

Blue98Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't done the vacuum method yet but I will. I bought the special power steering cap with the fitting on there, and I will make a simple catch system to keep vacuum yet catch the ATF as it burps out the top of the power steering reservoir. As the vacuum source I'll use the vacuum line that goes to the brake booster. That should be a piece of cake.

My question is this: since my clean ATF flush of the power steering, because there was so much air in there after the flush, the new ATF now looks milky, not clear like out of the jug. I am guessing this is either from the power steering additive I put in there, or it's because now the ATF has become so mixed with air bubbles that now the fluid has permanent, microscopic air bubbles or something, kind of like super fine soap suds. My question is, will that milkyness make it so that the power steering never quiets down? Do I need to flush the stupid thing again just to get rid of that milkyness? I really don't want to go through that again because it wasn't a quick job, and it make a god damned mess all over the driveway with ATF all over the underside of the car and on the driveway.

nanuk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
here's what I did

LIFT THE FRONT END so there is little pressure on the system.

With engine NOT running, I topped up the fluid, and worked the steering wheel, slowly left to the stop, then right to the stop.... about 3 -4 times.

Then put it hard to the left stop and turn off the key so it locks the wheel there.

Leave over night.

next day, turn wheel to the right side against the stop and lock it there.

leave over night.

repeat this at least twice and it should be air free

the milkiness should resolve itself as there is antifoam agents in there, and you'll force out most of the air.

if you do this with vacuum, I would assume it would be even better... but I never tried it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals