• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fluid Leaks in Extreme Cold

MrEvilPirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
MAGA!!!
It's been ballz cold in New England past few days. I replaced thermostat housing a few months ago, leak was gone. Noticed smell of coolant, and I now have another leak at thermostat housing (where upper meets lower).

At same time I noticed I was low on clutch fluid.

I've had to top both off over past week.

I know my slave cylinder for clutch is probably gonna go out at some point. I'm hoping extreme cold has caused seals to temporarily shrink a bit. 2 leaks at same time seems like interesting coincidence.

Anyone else ever experience cold related leaks?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not on my 2011 Ranger but I've been chasing a coolant smell on my 1999 SUV for some time. I must have a pin hole leak somewhere that I can't find a stain or any liquid with a light and/or a mirror. Only get the smell when it's really cold.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Not on my 2011 Ranger but I've been chasing a coolant smell on my 1999 SUV for some time. I must have a pin hole leak somewhere that I can't find a stain or any liquid with a light and/or a mirror. Only get the smell when it's really cold.
Might have hair line cracks in your heater core. That's where my "mysterious" leak is.... I think.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Might have hair line cracks in your heater core. That's where my "mysterious" leak is.... I think.

I'd be inclined to agree if it was in the cabin but it's only from outside the vehicle in the engine bay. Frankly, I'm surprised the heater core hasn't sprung a leak yet since it's the original and it's 19 years old.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I'd be inclined to agree if it was in the cabin but it's only from outside the vehicle in the engine bay. Frankly, I'm surprised the heater core hasn't sprung a leak yet since it's the original and it's 19 years old.
Yeah, probably not then haha

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's been ballz cold in New England past few days. I replaced thermostat housing a few months ago, leak was gone. Noticed smell of coolant, and I now have another leak at thermostat housing (where upper meets lower).

At same time I noticed I was low on clutch fluid.

I've had to top both off over past week.

I know my slave cylinder for clutch is probably gonna go out at some point. I'm hoping extreme cold has caused seals to temporarily shrink a bit. 2 leaks at same time seems like interesting coincidence.

Anyone else ever experience cold related leaks?
Not cold related, but if u have the 4.0 then I’d say replace the thermostat housing......reason being they are notorious for leaking....for what it’s worth mine wasn’t leaking until I replaced my thermostat then about two weeks later I was replacing the housing.....:shok:

MrEvilPirate

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
MAGA!!!
LOL so yeah mine wasn't leaking either. Replaced timing chain tensioner. Developed a leak at the temp sender. Replaced that (not motorcraft part, lesson learned), and it leaked like crazy. Messed around with the o-ring, swapped it out to different sizes, finally some teflon tape sealed it up, no leaks for several months. It seems to be leaking now where the upper and lower thermostats housing parts mate. But this morning it is a balmy 24 compared to the single digits it's been for the past couple weeks, and the housing is dry.

I actually bought new thermostat housing for and explorer (I have a ranger) when I was getting ready to mess with it last time, assuming I would need to replace it again. I went with the explorer housing because the sensors thread into it, instead of the ridiculous friction fit w/retaining clip style used on the rangers.

I must have owned a dozen vehicles by now, I've wrenched on them all, this truck is the only one with such crazy coolant issues, which all seem like they could have been avoided with a better designed housing.

The top part of the housing is angled slightly differently, not sure if it will fit under the intake or not, but I figured I'd give it a try if I have to dig into this again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals