• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fluid for a Saginaw TC swap?

Trump8MyKids

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys (and gals possibly) got a question:
So I swapped my p/s pump with a Saginaw TC out of a 03 Jeep Liberty with the v6. It's absolutely silent and I love it.
But this made me think about something. When I put it in I used the generic Autozone p/s fluid. I have been reading around and found Motorcraft Mercon is the way to go but would that be okay for the pump? Just wanted to ask before I ruined my $200 investment. Thanks!

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Simple GM type II power steering pump, it is mounted to two 90's GM fwd cars I own, no special fluid needed, just regular P/S fluid, do NOT use atf.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think you're fine... mixing power steering fluid and ATF has never caused a problem for me and I have done it many times. One or the other by itself is probably better, I would have used whatever the pump calls for, but keep in mind that unless you flushed the steering rack and lines out really well, the system still has a lot of ATF in it.

I wish I knew more about why one company uses ATF and another uses power steering fluid. Years ago we put full hydraulic steering in my buddy's Dodge and used a PSC pump, they told him that tractor hydraulic fluid was the only thing to use and that anything else would void the warranty. Somewhat different scenario but still steering, nonetheless.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
ATF *is* a type of hydraulic fluid, since an automatic is a big hydraulic pump (well, more to it than that but it runs on fluid pressure) .... but how it differs from P/S fluid, not a clue. Nor why tractors and jacks and everything else have their own "special" fluid. Or why there are 47 types of ATF just for Fords (or so it seems, anyway). Never mind the rest of the domestic and import brands.

I'm sure there's a good reason for it.... or maybe not. :confused:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Where this pump itself is concerned it was not designed to operate with ATF in it. It IS a GM piece, there is not a rear bearing inside the housing, the shaft rides directly in the vane housing bushing, regular P/S doesn't have the friction modifiers & cleansers that ATF does, P/S fluid also has a higher viscosity index, if one continually runs ATF in this pump the vanes will begin to whine & one runs the risk of premature failure.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The "power steering" fluid Ford sells comes in a pint bottle for about the price of a quart of ATF, it says on the back of the bottle that it meets Mercon specs. Dexron III/Mercon should work fine.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Well. in my opinion you have two fronts here, the Ford rack was designed to have Mercon run thu it, but the pump was not. As I stated that pump was designed to make use of p/s fluid. Even tho it was designed by GM/Saginaw (casting high pressure port location is reversed to the other end) for use on a Chrysler product it still requires regular P/S fluid. You have the same year vehicle I do, the owners manual spec calls for Mercon. I know from personal experience that if ATF is run thru that pump for more than a short period of time it will start to howl.

I suppose I should ask.....how in the world did you get a GM/Saginaw TC type II front wheel drive pump onto the Ford brackets?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals