• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flowmaster 40 on a '98 ranger w/ 200k mi. Good it bad idea?

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16
I'm thinking of putting a flowmaster 40 classic on my 98 ranger XLT supercab 4x4 4.0l. it has high mileage (198k) so I am concerned about causing issue when the back pressure is changed. Any information on potential issues or another choice of muffler to get the sound that would be better?

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
LOL...your neighbors won't like you.....

40's are LOUD, if you want to keep the piece locally try a 70 series, they won't wake up the neighborhood late at night....:icon_cheers:

stock 6 cyl engines (especially in front of an auto trans) are like small children, they should be seen but not heard

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16
LOL...your neighbors won't like you.....

40's are LOUD, if you want to keep the piece locally try a 70 series, they won't wake up the neighborhood late at night....:icon_cheers:

stock 6 cyl engines (especially in front of an auto trans) are like small children, they should be seen but not heard
So a 70 would be nice sounding still, just mellow? Would it cause any issues with the engine being so high in mileage? I don't want to screw the truck up just for some nice exhaust sound.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I'll recommend something else to try, but you'll need to have some welding skills to complete the work.

This all 2.5"................

Try a Walker quiet-flow 21405 409 stainless muffler, purchase the DynoMax 409 stainless 55594 tailpipe for the Ranger, you'll need to pick up the intermediate pipe from the rear cat to the inlet side of the muffler from the DynoMax 39315 set. You'll find that 21405 is quieter.
or if one wants pick up the entire DynoMax 39315 system for the 125" wheelbase truck.

Guaranteed not to wake up the neighbors, has a mild tone to the 21405 muffler, this muffler is the Walker OEM replacement for the muffler under the GM mid 90's Sonoma GT, Syclones, Typhoon.
I'm not suggesting this to you because this is what I have under my truck, but it is a decent alternative to the oem 2" piping under the truck & is not obnoxiously noisy.

Last edited:

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16
I'll recommend something else to try, but you'll need to have some welding skills to complete the work.

This all 2.5"................

Try a Walker quiet-flow 21405 409 stainless muffler, purchase the DynoMax 409 stainless 55594 tailpipe for the Ranger, you'll need to pick up the intermediate pipe from the rear cat to the inlet side of the muffler from the DynoMax 39315 set.
or if one wants pick up the entire DynoMax 39315 system for the 125" wheelbase truck.

Guaranteed not to wake up the neighbors, has a mild tone to the 21405 muffler, this muffler is the Walker OEM replacement for the muffler under the GM mid 90's Sonoma GT, Syclones, Typhoon.
I'm not suggesting this to you because this is what I have under my truck, but it is a decent alternative to the oem 2" piping under the truck & is not obnoxiously noisy.
Ok so it IS 2" oem, I was seeing multiple people saying it's stock 2.25", good to know. But you've never heard of any issues with back pressure being changed when the pipe diameter is changed like that, or any other problems being it has such high mileage? I have gone through and replaced everything that was faulty or causing codes to be thrown but I know this engine has some years on it still. It was my grandpa's and he drove it nicely for years so it was never beat on but I just don't want to put a decent exhaust on it and then cause a domino effect that makes me start having more issues, I can always just leave well enough alone if that's what's best, it isn't broken or loud after all.... Now as for that damn power steering pump.... That whiny POS is a nightmare but I'm afraid to replace it and get a worse whine.
I really just want everything to continue running nicely after all the work I put into it tuning it up. I appreciate your knowledge and suggestions, thank you.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
No issues where back pressure is concerned, the larger dia piping exhaust flows better, doesn't hurt the fuel system at all, the PCM readjusts the injector flow rate verrrrrrry mildly to compensate for the mildly better *in/out* cfm flow rate.
Steering pump whine?.....common issue, my 1st question to ask would be.......what fluid is in the system right now? is it proper P/S fluid for that pump, or has someone replaced the fluid with something else such as Dexron?

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16
No issues where back pressure is concerned, the larger dia piping exhaust flows better, doesn't hurt the fuel system at all, the PCM readjusts the injector flow rate verrrrrrry mildly to compensate for the mildly better *in/out* cfm flow rate.
Steering pump whine?.....common issue, my 1st question to ask would be.......what fluid is in the system right now? is it proper P/S fluid for that pump, or has someone replaced the fluid with something else such as Dexron?
It has standard PS fluid in it, I was thinking about bleeding it, flushing it out and starting with new clean fluid, possibly with some sort of stop whine lubricating product? I've been reading non stop about them though and it seems liked this is just the way it is on these old Ford pumps. Mine is definitely way better than some I've heard so this may be another case of leaving well enough alone lol, until I absolutely have to replace it due to failure.
I told my Grandpa I'd fix this truck up and keep it going before he died so it's become a little project of mine the last couple years, after researching these older rangers they seem like pretty solid bad ass little trucks with quite the following out there so I consider myself lucky to have received it from him. I just want to do right by him while also making it my own in the end. I'm going for a slightly beefy look and sound but nothing crazy and nothing that'll cause issues down the line. It's not a daily driver but I do take it out every few days and for little weekend errands to keep it moving around regularly. The pump whines but still seems to work perfectly, there's no difficulty with turning the wheel even while parked or moving slowly. I am not completely sure if it's the original pump or not, I just know he really took care of this truck and kept all receipts so I could go through the folder and see if it's been replaced and whatever else is noted about it. I'll have to do that...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Other than a new pump, I have no solution for the whine.

You could completely flush the system if you want. It’s probably due for a fluid change and it might help the whine a little. What I did with my old Ranger was to use a hand pump to suck the reservoir dry, filled it, drove it a day or two, and repeated the process until the fluid stayed looking new.

I suck out the reservoir and refill on my Ranger every three years along with the brake fluid. That should keep the system pretty fresh. The fluid wears out but that regimen should be replacing the fluid faster than it wears out.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I've personally not experienced any sort of unwanted noise from the pump, you more than likely have the same vintage pump that my engine does.

The defacto fluid for that era was Mercon, I have flushed mine three times in the 24 years I've owned the truck (every 50,000 kilometres *not miles*), it now has Mercon 5 in it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have knockoff Flowmaster 40s on three 4.0 powered trucks. They are definitely not loud... I am comparing noise level to my F150 that has dual exhaust and glass packs, and the idiots on my street who rip by on their Harleys. The noise level of a Flowmaster 40 with a catalytic converter in front of it and a stock length exhaust system is maybe a 4 out of 10, stock muffler being a 2.

The muffler itself will not hurt your engine or affect back pressure or anything... the backpressure thing is actually a myth that needs to die.

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16
I have knockoff Flowmaster 40s on three 4.0 powered trucks. They are definitely not loud... I am comparing noise level to my F150 that has dual exhaust and glass packs, and the idiots on my street who rip by on their Harleys. The noise level of a Flowmaster 40 with a catalytic converter in front of it and a stock length exhaust system is maybe a 4 out of 10, stock muffler being a 2.

The muffler itself will not hurt your engine or affect back pressure or anything... the backpressure thing is actually a myth that needs to die.
Right on, I didn't think the 40 was all that loud, I was really just wanting a little more beefy sound. Thanks.

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16

What's the knock off brand you have and where do you find them, if you don't mind me asking. They've held up well over time?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What's the knock off brand you have and where do you find them, if you don't mind me asking. They've held up well over time?
"Street Flow" is the model and they are made by Allied. A lot of muffler shops carry them and they are about $50+/-, very reasonable and IMO they are every bit as good as real Flowmasters. In fact the local place I buy them from said the only difference is Flowmasters have the brand name stamped into them. Here's the application sheet I use when I need one:

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16
"Street Flow" is the model and they are made by Allied. A lot of muffler shops carry them and they are about $50+/-, very reasonable and IMO they are every bit as good as real Flowmasters. In fact the local place I buy them from said the only difference is Flowmasters have the brand name stamped into them. Here's the application sheet I use when I need one:

Awesome, thanks!

skeptikalone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4X4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265 75R16

These rangers with the 4.0 are 2.25" pipes aren't they? Most I see are 2.5" just want to make sure I get the right one. I know it's offset-in/center-out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals