• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flood damage from April 28, 2013

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
As some of you know, the central states had a bad storm come through. This is some of the damage I received...
Here is the bridge going to the other house that washed out. This is the third bridge build in the lifetime that I know of, we built this bridge from scratch back in 03. Used 12" diameter telephone poles soaked in creosote, 3 foot below the creek bed, every 3 foot, 5 on each side. 8x12 beams laying down on top of that, then 8x12 beams running across the creek with 2 foot spacing. The 8x12 beams are also creosote treated throughout. The decking is treated 4x6 lumber. If you look closely in a couple pics you can see the decking and 8x12 beams. There was a couple beams left over, so they are sitting on the side for future widening of the bridge. I've had my firetruck loaded across this bridge and it didn't even flinch or make a sound. With it at 36k lbs, I'm comfortable knowing it will hold 40k...

Here you can see how much earth was removed, its much more than in the pics, its about 8-10" all the way across...

Here is a stump that washed up from somewhere, doesn't look big, but take notice the scale difference between my 5'8" tall sister compared to the stump. It's about 40" diameter, 3 foot tall. There is its brother that washed up in another pic later with the tractor...

This is a tree that washed up onto the bridge. Also notice the footrail of the bridge was slung parallel to the creek. Yeah, the water topped the bridge...

Here we had some 12x12 timbers that were stacked on the treeline behind the Chevy. Don't worry, the Chevy ain't ours, its a friend of the family. He drives Ford's now, you can't see it, but about 20 feet to the left of the Chevy is where the garden is...

Here is all the debris on the tail end of the bridge. If this gives you an idea of how much and how fast the water was running. You can also see the cutoff of the piling we used as well as the beams and decking. The floog washed out the earth on both sides, the bridge structurally is sound, but its an island now...

Just to the right of the bridge and the road to the bridge starts on of the fields. You can see here the rock that was deposited from the creek overflowing...

I'm standing on the road, about 30 feet from the bridge, here you can see the treeline of the creek on the left, and what's left of the lake. You can also see more rock piles...

Past the basketball ball goal and the shed, which is hidden and past the spruce in the pic, I'm in the field looking back towards the house and my shop, which is next to the road, you can see my shop on the left, on the right is the treeline for the creek. You can see the grass how it is laid over from the water topping the banks like a levee that was breached...

A little further down the field is where these stumps washed up, the one in front the tractor is the brother to the one by the bridge. The creek is on the other side the tractor...

You can barely see the stumps in front the tractor, but this shows you how much earth was removed from the flood, we lost about two feet on the field side of the creek. It took out the earth around this tree, which fell onto the power lines, knocking out power to the old house...

Hard to see, but if you look closely you can see where the tree leaned up against the power lines, touching all 3 together, knocking them out...

This is the tree that was washed out, touching the power lines...

On the other side of the tractor, this is the rest of the field, you can see just how much debris was carried. In the farground, you can see the paved road, which had 6-8" of water on the road, for a distance of about 200 ft...

To go along with all the rock that was deposited, there is literally tons on sand in the field. Here is my foot after just stepping in it. I sunk about 6"...

SVT

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have been through tsunamis, monsoon rains, hurricanes and lots of floods where I lived and where I was deployed all over the world. The strength of an encroaching tide is incredible. A wall of approaching water or a fast moving fire with 40-100 foot flames is the worst thing to see or ever be in.
Just glad it did not take out your house and you guys are safe.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looks like you have nice property. Hope the repairs go easy.

Richard

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
Water and time are the two most powerful forces on the planet. Glad no one was hurt and the damage was no worse than it is. Might want to consider a pair of 6 foot culverts where you have the bridge.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Water and time are the two most powerful forces on the planet. Glad no one was hurt and the damage was no worse than it is. Might want to consider a pair of 6 foot culverts where you have the bridge.
a friend of mine put in big culverts........worked good until the fast-moving floodwater came thru.....now he has 2 big sections of pipe side by side in the creek with zero dirt/gravel on them.....

glad you guys are O.K........amazing pics

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I have been through tsunamis, monsoon rains, hurricanes and lots of floods where I lived and where I was deployed all over the world. The strength of an encroaching tide is incredible. A wall of approaching water or a fast moving fire with 40-100 foot flames is the worst thing to see or ever be in.
Just glad it did not take out your house and you guys are safe.
Been there, done that, no property damage (except the bridge) and no one injured, at least on my place, all four of the counties rescue boats were out though...
Looks like you have nice property. Hope the repairs go easy.
Richard
Repairs are not too bad, I've got almost 100 acres, yeah, its nice. I like my space :D

The first bridge had culverts, the first hard rain took them out. I had splash guards on both sides of the bridge, and underneath, this last flood took it out. I'm uploading more pics of the damage to the bridge now...

SVT

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, DG. More pics...
More pics of the damage to the bridge. This is between the piling and the road...

You can see where the retaining wall used to be...

This is the other side, you can see one of the 6 retaining walls stayed...

This is to show you just how big the creek is...

SVT

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I hope you brought a lot of duct tape!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals