• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Floaty steering at high speed

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The wander is likely lack of caster....

But. .define wander...

I can drive my truck triple digit speeds comfortably with one hand....back when it was Gasoline powered....

but even today it's fine at 85 travelling to Florida and back....

For me

One time one of my crew was travelling with me home.....and he made it about 3 miles before pulling off the road... shaking ....

Young guy about 20 or so and had never really driven anything other then a front drive car... I barely made it to the next rest stop to take a nap ...

So ..it's all relative.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
The wander is likely lack of caster....

But. .define wander...

I can drive my truck triple digit speeds comfortably with one hand....back when it was Gasoline powered....

but even today it's fine at 85 travelling to Florida and back....

For me

One time one of my crew was travelling with me home.....and he made it about 3 miles before pulling off the road... shaking ....

Young guy about 20 or so and had never really driven anything other then a front drive car... I barely made it to the next rest stop to take a nap ...

So ..it's all relative.
It doesnt wander all too much. Its not like I am drifting into another lane or anything. It just doesnt feel glued to the road. I guess a slight drift is a better explanation.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
It doesnt wander all too much. Its not like I am drifting into another lane or anything. It just doesnt feel glued to the road. I guess a slight drift is a better explanation.
I was referring to shran....he and I have straight axle junk now.....

I am thinking your truck is what I called normal for ttb. Those tires look burly for 33,s....might just be the pic....but burly will track every imperfection in the road ..

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size

I am thinking your truck is what I called normal for ttb. Those tires look burly for 33,s....might just be the pic....but burly will track every imperfection in the road ..
They are beyond burly...I think your assessment might be correct. They are killer offroad though! I am gonna run it like it is right now, and I will update this thread if I make any changes to the caster or tires. Good info for futre B2 idiots like myself

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Your definition may be different than mine but it will track straight for a while and slowly drift towards one side of the road, then when you go to correct it is very easy to go too far and make it dive towards the other ditch... Then back to the other side when you correct again. Once you get used to it, it's really not a big deal.

I don't have an easy way to correct caster. I have a 78/79 D44, full size bronco radius arm drop brackets and 0 degree C bushings. I tried the degreed caster correction C bushings but I can blow them out in one wheeling trip, the rubber ones from NAPA are the only ones I can keep alive for any length of time.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll GUESS it's the tires, too much air from looking at the picture (sidewall and dirt pattern) or just that tread pattern.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Is it just me or the picture the joint in the drag link looks like link itself is pitched drastically forward. Didn't know if it was rolled during alignment causing angle change as suspension droops/compresses. Had any one follow you see if it appears whole truck wandering or body only? Determine if it's tires or suspension. GoPro on the steering components may help out as well. Turn it on, go drive, come home, open beer and watch 😆

Last edited:

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Also had an 88 full size on 38 boggers that showed a lot of flex/movement between frame rails when steering could watch driver side load up and move.. spare piece of round stock plated between the rails stiffened that up drastically. I would like to think the Duff bumper will aid in rigidity kinda my thought with my Affordable one. If tires are as equally in question since I'm sure they were installed in conjunction, have some stock stuff lying around or you can borrow and that's a pretty quick check. Alignment will be slightly different but treat patterns can affect a lot and those tires are almost an S shape which to me would probably hunt for even traction. They are not directional/inner outer correct?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
steering axis offset???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals