• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flipping Axle Over Leaf Springs/Help

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
ok so i found out its not a good idea to pull a leaf spring to get a drop but i heard about flipping the axle over so its on top of the leaf springs instead of the bottom, as of right now what im doing to my truck is gonna give me a 2/2 drop(coils and fliped hangers) is flipping the axles over on top of leaf springs a bad idea? is it something i gotta buy alot of parts for and does anyone know how much a drop it will give me? if its more than 2inches im guessing that its gonna be too much since i would assume a 2/4 would bring my truck to a level position, thanks guys

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
A flip kit is the safest route when dropping the rear, you will need to order a flip kit, which basically, is a u-shaped mount for the axles to sit on and new u-bolts. In total it should give you anywere from 3-6 inches of drop, depending on what tires you have an the condition of your springs. And for cost, I've hear from 30-69 bucks, depending if you buy them from ebay or a specialized manufacturer. Hope this helps ya man, im droppin my 97 and having the same "fun" time lol

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
oohh ok thanks man i think im gonna just do a hanger flip then, cuz 2 inches along with 3-6 in the back is gonna be way to much lol it would be dragging the bumper maybe later on when i lower the front more i will do the flip, thanks.

fatcalvin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Ranger 2.5
Make / Model
98 ranger 2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
The axel is only 3" wide therefore it will only give you a 3" drop with a flip kit. Rangers sit higher in the back anyways so with the kit it would put you level. S-10 come stock with axel over leaf rear suspension so there isnt anything to worry about as far as safety. I would deff. get the flip kit for the fact that once you lower it i will want to go lower. I would just heat the front coils to get it lower rather than buying a $100 set of springs.

Btw in order to drag the bumper you would have to do A LOT more than a 4" or 5" drop. Not to mention you would need to to notch the frame. Hope this helps

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
ok cool but my question is i wouldnt do both flipping the hangers and flipping the axle then? i would wanna choose one or the other? flipping hangers 2in and fipping axle 3 inches,one of those would be my choices? because im saying otherwise its gonna be like a 2/5 drop lol, thanks
btw if any1 can point me in a good direction of where to buy the flip kits that would be sweet.

Last edited:

Tee Rev

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The axel is only 3" wide therefore it will only give you a 3" drop with a flip kit. Rangers sit higher in the back anyways so with the kit it would put you level. S-10 come stock with axel over leaf rear suspension so there isnt anything to worry about as far as safety. I would deff. get the flip kit for the fact that once you lower it i will want to go lower. I would just heat the front coils to get it lower rather than buying a $100 set of springs.

Btw in order to drag the bumper you would have to do A LOT more than a 4" or 5" drop. Not to mention you would need to to notch the frame. Hope this helps
Almost right, but not quite!

You also have to take into account the width of the spring pack. If your spring pack is 3" thick, flipping the axle will give you a 6" drop.

My 91 ended up 7" lower in the back after flipping the axle. I had to do a c-notch to get some suspension back, & install some cut Splash coils up front to bring the front down to match!:icon_thumby:

Trev

Last edited:

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks man this is out of the question then cuz my front is only getting a 2in drop lol, plus i still haul atvs and stuff with this truck, seems like just flipping the axle alone is to much a drop for what i need specially if i have to modify stuff to make it work right. i guess ima flip the hangers and leave it at that, thanks guys

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
I would just heat the front coils to get it lower rather than buying a $100 set of springs.
never heat the front springs, it changes the springs properties and takes the "springy-ness out of the springs, you would be safer cutting them(or buying drop coils,but im poor lol) but only half a coil at a time, thats what i did, then you get the adjustable camber bushings, and there easy to install, then get an alignment....and viola!

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
yea im cutting 1 1/2 coils on mine, any more than that and its dangerous.

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
definitely, if i had the $$$ I would go buy some dream beams, but i dont have a "high income" so i havta deal with it for now.....ahhh economy....lol

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
See, now ain't you glad you talked it over:headbang:---put some before-in between--after pics on here so it can be viewed by others who might do a similar drop:icon_thumby:

SykoRanger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
definitely, if i had the $$$ I would go buy some dream beams, but i dont have a "high income" so i havta deal with it for now.....ahhh economy....lol
yea i know how that is im goin through same crap, ill deff post some pics up when its all done, before and after

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
Couldn't you also just get an Explorer rear end? I mean, 4x4 and 2x4 off road guys get them because they are stronger (31 spline axle shafts) and cut the spring perches off to weld new ones on the top because the Explorer has the axle over spring setup like what you want to do, vs the spring over axle setup the other guys want. So if you were to get an Explorer axle it would bolt right in the way you want without having to buy a kit. Explorer axle left alone and put in a Ranger would equal a stock drop I would think.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Couldn't you also just get an Explorer rear end?
I'm wanting to drop my Ranger 2/4 using coils and an axle flip using an Explorer axle.

I can get the Explorer axle at pick-n-pull for $127. Now this will hurt, but I'm going to think a second... an Explorer axle will have the spring mounts I need to mount the axle on top of the leafs, which means I don't have to spend $60 for a flip kit.

$127 - $60 = $67. This means for $67, I upgrade to an 8.8" rear with trac-loc and disc brakes. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Last edited:

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dont for get the shock mount on the explorer arent in the right place if im not mistaken

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals