• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flat towing a 2wd automatic.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Another item to be concerned with when flat towing/4 down, is a supplemental brake system. Even tho your towing with a large, heavy pick up, your towing 3000lbs or more, and in almost all states that means a supplemental brake system is required.
I can vouch for the need...my motor home is based on a E-450 superduty, and weighs around 12,000 lbs. We tow a 3200 lb Subaru Crosstrek that I equipped with a brake system. Have stopped from a 60 mph speed both with and without the system activated, and without the system the stopping distance is about 20% longer.
They do work...the only downside is the cost. New will run around $1000.00 depending on make. The one I have, an RVI 2 went for $1300.00. Used can be purchased for 1/2 to 2/3 less than new.
Of course if you decide to go with a dolly, the dolly will come equipped with electric brakes and you'll only need a brake controller in your truck.
On several RV websites I'm on, I've seen good used dolly's go for as low as $500.00, less than half of a supplemental brake system..
Grumpaw

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I didn't consider the brakes. The F350 has more than enough stopping power but I never considered what the legal max is.

However I have a few remote braking systems made for towing semi's. Runs off air though... got me thinking just building a copy but with an electric piston instead of pneumatic.

bb100-1-brake-buddy-system.jpg
bb100-2-brake-buddy-system-in-use.tmb-0.jpg

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
You would think that your F-350 would tow a Ranger without a brake system, and it will. As long as you give yourself plenty of stopping distance. But I will tell you, from past experience, in a panic stop, or on wet roadway, without a brake system in the "toad". You would think the F-350 has the weight/braking/mass to stop that 3000 lb Ranger in an emergency, but it just doesn't.
You have over 3000 lbs of mass pushing your F-350. If that situation ever happens, you will wish you had a brake system.
Then there is the liability factor...if your towing anything that is required to have brakes, by law, and you don't, you might not get hit by the cops if your involved in an accident, but if it can be proven that a supplemental system would have helped avoid the accident, civil law will eat you.
Take it from a retired cop, also was a traffic homicide accident reconstructionist, it is very easy to determine what occurred and if a brake system was involved or omitted, and would have helped to avoid the accident.
My post about this is not meant to scare anyone of force you into something. It's meant to bring to attention what is needed/required to tow safely.
Towing a small flat bed trailer with a lawn tractor without brakes is one thing, but towing 3000 lbs is something entirely different.
Grumpaw

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

whtknght

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's meant to bring to attention what is needed/required to tow safely.
Towing a small flat bed trailer with a lawn tractor without brakes is one thing, but towing 3000 lbs is something entirely different.
Grumpaw
We hit a spring snow storm heading north to Colorado Springs a few years ago. We had to turn around and head back to New Mexico for the night. The 22 foot enclosed car trailer (with the wife's Subaru in it) was getting no brake signal to its brakes. Made a bad situation even worse, especially going down hill. That trailer was providing a good 3 tons of force against the hitch receiver. Think about it. All that force being applied to a small point. Now think what it is like when the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle are not lined up straight. Basic Trig. Angular force applied to the rear end of your truck when you are trying to control your speed.
Can you say JACK KNIFE?

whtknght

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is another situation. Six months later, I was bringing the rest of our stuff across country. 2007 F350 Dually pulling a 29ft tagalong tandem trailer. Travelling 70+ mph in Wyoming (long straight hwy). Heading down hill when one of the right hand tires blows on the trailer. Almost immediately, the second tire on the right side blew. To much weight for one tire to support. Now I had a trailer with flattened rims on one side, heading down hill. You want those trailer brakes. You will be doing a dance while sitting in the drivers seat, manually overriding the brake controller with one hand while controlling the truck with slight brake pressure and a delicate hand on the steering wheel. I had to make sure the truck was pulling the trailer down hill not the trailer pushing the truck down hill while trying to slow everything to a stop . The last thing I needed was for another tire to blow (then of course the fourth one would go) and find myself with four flatten steel rims for wheels.

I now have a brake controller on my b2. Why would I do that when no trailer I towed with it would require electric brakes? Because those brakes might make the difference between stopping safely and having the trailer cause a rollover, jacknife, skid etc. Any vehicle made to go off road will have a higher center of gravity. It is less stable by definition.

Moral of the story, When towing, you are driving two vehicles not one. We are not drift racing here. Having control of both vehicles is the difference between life and death.

I have survived being shot, stabbed, blown up and drowned. I have no intention of dying in a stupid auto accident that I could have prevented by running a couple extra wires.

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've seen em use bungee straps on the steering wheel, one on each side. Allows it to turn but not to freewheel, although on mine the wheel has to be turned more than once on cornering, maybe that was on a much older vehicle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals