• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flashlight Comparison

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
lol these are really good flashlight but they have one down fall and that is they run off of lithium batteries that only run like 60min or so!!!!

If you are only getting 60 minutes of use, take it back, because the DC to DC regulator has a problem......

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
If you are only getting 60 minutes of use, take it back, because the DC to DC regulator has a problem......

lol It's a voltage regulator and i need to correct my statement they only last 60 mins in a high output flash light not like any under a 100 lumens or so max output that last alot longer and plus this flashlight has a output of 220 lumens whats your output for a flashlight that last 10 hours????When i said that only last about 60 mins that is for a tacical flashlight with high lumens output not for a normal flashlight sorry for the miss understanding!!!!

http://www.surefire.com/FlashlightSpecChart

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
lol It's a voltage regulator
No, DC to DC regulator is the correct term.....the LED is powered by a constant current, even if the battery voltage varies, but will shut down entirely when the battery voltage reaches a minimum value.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Your specs don't match any of the flashlights on Dorcy's site indicating a 220 lumen output. The only one I see claiming that weighs nearly 2 pounds. Mine (60 lumen E2L) is 11 hours of battery life, and weighs 4 ounces. Yours is 1.8 lb's and gets 2 hours of battery life. I'm not sure where you're going with the complaint about lithium batteries.

Last edited:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i got one of those dorcy lil single led pen sized lights... best 6 bucks i ever spent. bright, compact, cheap, perfect for inspecting cars with.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
OK, I sort of see where you were headed with that, although you're a bit misguided. You have a flashlight that weighs on the order of seven TIMES what mine weighs, and has one fifth the battery life with the NiCad battery packs you're praising compared to the lithium batteries that 'suck'. You have a good light for what you need, no doubt about it. However, the lithium batteries exist specifically because they have a much higher energy density than NiCad. Their battery life under the same draw is far greater, not worse. To be more specific, the two CR123A batteries a typical Surefire or other compact LED light uses weigh a total of 34g, and provide around 3000mAh of stored energy. Your rechargeable NiCad pack only contains 700mAh of energy.

Last edited:

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I sort of see where you were headed with that, although you're a bit misguided. You have a flashlight that weighs on the order of seven TIMES what mine weighs, and has one fifth the battery life with the NiCad battery packs you're praising compared to the lithium batteries that 'suck'. You have a good light for what you need, no doubt about it. However, the lithium batteries exist specifically because they have a much higher energy density than NiCad. Their battery life under the same draw is far greater, not worse. To be more specific, the two CR123A batteries a typical Surefire or other compact LED light uses weigh a total of 34g, and provide around 3000mAh of stored energy.Your rechargeable NiCad pack only contains 700mAh of energy .

oh okay i see what your gettin at and there is no doubt the lithium battier are awesome and they last a long time and are aible to handle alot .My flashlight comes with nicads and i wish i could get a litium pack for it !!!!!But again my flashlight last 2 hours on one charge and similar flashlight only last 60mins with lithiums cr132a so what good would the lithiums do me if the last only 60mins or so and they are nonrecharable so every time they go dead i need to buy a set at $1.50eac+shipping and all i have to do is plug my in!!!!I tired to find a flashlight comparably with in like 50 or so and still not able to find to this date and you can find one plaese let me know where and please don't send me information about flashlight that are like above $100 because i doo't see spend that much for a flashlight!!!! There is a differnece between lithium packs that can be recharged and lthium battries like the cr123a that can't and there are special one that can and if i am wrong please correct me!!!!They battery pack that i have 700mahs and the lithium batteries that i found like cr123a with 1200mahs not 3000mahs if you know where you can find cr123a with 3000mah let me know where to find them!!!!
the price i could find real quick
http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm
the list of rechargeable i could find
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=cr123a+rechargeable&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3503800125&ref=pd_sl_nofjiuoqf_b
spec for cr123a surefire battiers
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67078

Last edited:

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Surefire has a rechargeable battery pack for some their lights.
So you have the option of using 123a batteries or the pack.
Lithium work better in cold temps and store longer.
Would go into that more, but surefire's site won't load ???

That dorcy light looks interesting, but personally, it's overpowered and restricted to being close to a recharging source.
I got 2 cheap 60-100lumen flashlights, 10-15bucks, one runs on 2AA(i use lithiums in it) and the other 2 cr123a batteries. Both are lightweight and last hours on good batteries. Batteries die mid-use? Dump a couple spares in.
Perfect for my use. That dorcy would be good for the house though.

Best price I've seen for cr123As is 12 for $29.99, but I'm canadian.

Last edited:

Legend

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
A few weeks ago, I bought a Smith & Wesson LED flashlight from Buy.com. This little flashlight is amazing, I took some photos to compare it to my Maglite, I'll take some photos showing the light output comparison when it
gets dark tonight:

Only cons I see are:
1) The S&W just isn't anywhere near as impressive in your pocket.
2) As a weapon, the S&W is easier to throw, but not as damaging when swung.
:icon_rofl:

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a 3d led maglite and love the thing to death. Reassuring to have a nice hefty 18" long extension of my right arm in my cab at all times as well. It is bulky but it lights up the world.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a guy that is going to make me a custom LED maglite. Its the P7 mod or something like that. supposed to be superbright

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up a ~80Lumens LED flashlight from the canadian version of radioshack for $15. Normally I don't buy from there, but for $15 I'd figured it's worth a try. Been working for the last 6mon on 2 cr123s. Not steady use, threw it in the dash of the truck for when I need it.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I have a guy that is going to make me a custom LED Flesh-Light. Its the 7in model or so..... supposed to be supertight
fixed it for you and any other Zack and Marie fans out there.

BTW: how do you get a custom flashlight? like the bulbs or handle or what? hope it's rechargeable, that'd be handy to have a truck charger.

Frank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals