• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flared out ball joint dust boots

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all. First post here. I have a situation where my upper and lower ball joint dust boots are flared out toward the bottom. This has only occurred on the passenger's side for some reason. Do I need to pull these off and replace the dust boots, or is regular grease pumping good enough to keep the grime and dirt out? The joints are less than a year old (never buying Raybestos again!).

I'll try to include some pictures here. I would appreciate any suggestions. Also, how many times can one replace ball joints? I made the mistake of choosing the splined ones...

Vehicle: 1994 Mazda B3000, 2wd

Attachments

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm not sure that I am seeing any sort of problem in your pictures (dust boots are designed to allow grease to escape, are they cracked or something?).

Got a pic of the driverside as a comparison?

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Drivers side below. On the passenger side, the bottom of the boots aren't seated in their spots. It's like they are stretched out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I suspect that if you were to pump enough grease into the other side to fully fill the boot it will probably expand out in a similar manner. After some driving around it could actually contract a little as more grease escapes.

I don't think that it's an issue. As long as the joint stays greased it should be fine.

Welcome to TRS, by the way.
:beer:

Patrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the welcome.

I've been driving around on the joints for a good 4-5 months after installation. Maybe my initial greasing pressurized them too much. There is some amount of surface cracking, as well. I chock it up to cheap rubber. Ill just keep them greased until I put new springs then assess whether its worth it to pound out the spindle and replace the boots.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals