• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixed a broken fishing rod the other day

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So somehow with the mess of Christmas presents that were piling up in my closet for the past few months before Christmas my new fishing pole got broken. It was my fault for not putting it in the garage but somehow the pole got in between my crossbow and must have got moved and broken. Anyway, after looking online on how to fix this I found nothing. So I had to tap into my "redneck ingenuity" and give it a shot. I ended up using heat shrink tubing in a few layers and then cut the metal handle off one of those cheap harbor freight brushes (the ones that are $2 for 100 pack) and I wrapped it as tight as possible and then put some more heat shrink around it. Haven't gone fishing with it yet but I took the tip and I bent it as if I caught a biggun' and it stayed true and showed no signs of breaking. I would like to re-do this and clean it up some more but here is what it looks like. Beats having a broken pole.

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Www.Mudhole.com

You can buy ferrules by diameter. Measure the diameter at the break and glue the proper sized ferrule on the lower half, epoxy seal the upper half so the graphite doesn't splinter and you can then just use it as a 2 peice rod.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's too high dollar for my liking.... I'm a cheap ass as you all should know by now. I like my fix. It works, its pretty strong, I don't fish for anything other than bass and catfish which I have bigger poles for catfish so it would mainly be for bass fishing. Around here where I fish they only get 3-5 pounds max. Catfish get bigger but like I said I have a bigger pole for that. This fishing pole was on clearance at Walmart for $15 so I don't want a $15 pole with a $45 repair lol. That's like wiping before poopin.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Wasn't bashing your fix. Just showing you where to get parts. I build custom rods in my spare time. I probably own at least 50 rod and reel sets that I use. And then have piles of blanks, old stuff, and spare parts that take up an entire room in my basement. :icon_rofl:

But I take fishing insanely seriously to a point I need help. I've got micro gear for natural trout up to offshore tuna/shark gear and literally everything in between.

All that stuff fits nicely in my license holder.

If you crack an insert out of a guide, take the super glue and fill the crack mixed with some powdered cork from the handle. If the insert falls out completely just bend the guide up and re-run the line without that guide.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If your stream side fishing and snap a rod. A good fix is to keep a single use super glue tube, a peice of a hot glue stick, a lighter, and a tiny bit of duck tape.

Super glue the section together, melt the hot glue on with the lighter over it, then wrap it in duck tape. I was musky fishing once and did this and that cheap repair lasted me landing 2 fish over 36". Carry some braided line and you can wrap a broken guide back on easily too.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good tips. I'm anxious to see how well the cheap repair will hold. I used 3 layers of heat shrink tubing. First 2 layers of heat shrink to keep it nice and tight then wrapped that cheap metal handle around the broken part and then a final layer of heat shrink. I know I could make it look a lot better than it does but I wasn't sure if it would hold at all let alone be straight lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals