• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fitting stuck on internal slave cylinder

bubbaone2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright guys, I'm really hoping you guys can help me out. So we were putting a new hydraulic line on my 87' ford ranger today from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. All went well, we got the end of the line into the master cylinder successfully, until we got to the slave cylinder. The guy who had it before me cut the hose by the slave cylinder and left the fitting in the hole for the hose on the slave cylinder. So we thought "oh no big deal we'll just take it off" well we went to take it off and nothing was budging. We've tried everything I can possibly think of, I.E. unscrewing, pulling it. So am really puzzled here on what to do and would really be thankful if you guys could give me a hand thanks so much!

dwsykes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
14, 88
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5TT, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I know on my 88 it required some special tool that I borrowed from a dealership. I can't for the life of me remember what it looks like though. I should have made one.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
88 has a different style for a quick connect. If you really can't get your line off get a razor up there and split it up the side.

John Smith

Reaction score
you can buy that tool from napa..

but you can get it worked back with a small flat blade...if you have the white plastic sleeve...

once it is in flush...pull on the line...you should get it worked out...search "slave"....you'll get returns w pics.....it's a common problem....2nd time i've answered this 2day....must b the weekend

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know on my 88 it required some special tool that I borrowed from a dealership. I can't for the life of me remember what it looks like though. I should have made one.
but you can get it worked back with a small flat blade...if you have the white plastic sleeve...

once it is in flush...pull on the line...you should get it worked out...search "slave"....you'll get returns w pics.....it's a common problem....2nd time i've answered this 2day....must b the weekend
You are both correct EXCEPT:

He has an 87, it has a barbed fitting that the line stretches over on top of the bell. You guys are both thinking of the 88-92 quick connect fitting.

bubbaone2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hmm.. Well I'm really lost, confused, and pissed (the least to say). lol. So I wish I could show you a video of what its like.. but there is no way to. I think there might be a roll pin by the fitting. Its tough.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, let me get this straight,

we are talking about the slave cylinder end of the line, on an 87m with the fitting at roughly the 11:00 position as viewed from the rear of the vehicle. Correct?

John Smith

Reaction score
sorry i missed the 87' thing

Hmm.. Well I'm really lost, confused, and pissed (the least to say). lol. So I wish I could show you a video of what its like.. but there is no way to. I think there might be a roll pin by the fitting. Its tough.
I have two 87's but any roll pin there had been replaced by a quick release hitch pin....(kinda grenade release style)..if yours is Not that way..don't know what 2 say bro.....I'm sure it Will be that way 4 the
Next time 4 sure

hopefully the other guy with 87 can help u out with some input there...

bubbaone2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Adsm. My 87 has an internal slave cylinder that uses a hydraulic line that is pressed over a barbed fitting,(Yes it is approx. 11:00 looking from the back of the truck.)

The guy I bought the truck from replaced the clutch plate, and the internal slave cylinder, but must have thought he could re-use the old line (which you can't). So, this guy cut the hydraulic line off the fitting and slapped it all back together with the fitting still in place,(I think it might be locked in with a roll pin)? It appears that he was thinking he could simply push the old line over the barbed fitting and tie it down with a ziptie to hold it in place (Obviously that didn't work).

So I have purchased the correct hydraulic line which came with the fittings pressed on, and the new hitch type pin (which you referred to),,,,, but now I can't get his old fitting out?

Please tell me I am not going to have to take the truck apart to get the bell housing out in order to get this old fitting off!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have one of those transmissions already out of the truck. I can go take a look tomorrow and see if I can find anything that might help you out.

bubbaone2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks so much! That would be really great. I'd appreciate it.

bubbaone2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I took a picture through the shifter hole (took the shifter boot off) how do I get this thing off?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have two 87's but any roll pin there had been replaced by a quick release hitch pin....(kinda grenade release style)..if yours is Not that way..don't know what 2 say bro.....I'm sure it Will be that way 4 the
Next time 4 sure

hopefully the other guy with 87 can help u out with some input there...
If there is a roll pin in it you've been "rednecked"
(as in someone wants you to "Squeel Like a pig")

It's SUPPOSED to be a "hairpin" clip.

If you look at the PIC to the right of the bleeded you'll see the groove that the curved side of the clip is supposed to ride in.

SOMEONE apparrently LOST the clip and just stuck a roll pin in it (asshat)

AD

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
^ What he said.

Here is a pic of the pin you are SUPPOSED to have:

I took some others, but they didn't come out well because the trans if filthy.

The one thing I can say is that those roll pins are strong on the narrow dimension, but they crush easily. If you have room I'd try to get a small drill bit in it and yank it out.

If you can't do that, I'd try to pound it out the other side, I've had good luck crushing those stupid things, especially when I don't want to.

tonybaloney22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay, heres what we are going to try to waller it out with a drill. Think that might work?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals