• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First timer

honda34dad

Reaction score
Hello,

First timer that is needing a little help. My dad has a '78 Ford Bronco on 44s that we take out to RWP. I am interested in getting a 4x4 Ranger to make into a mud truck to find the holes. He can pull me out and we won't require a MONSTER truck to pull me out, he can do it. What I need help on is finding a way to make an extended cab ranger work well for a family. My wife and I could sit in the front, but we have a toddler that I would like to take mudding as well and even the extended cab '93 ranger I am looking at, does not conform to my wants/needs. Has anyone had any experience with getting a bench seat in the back of a ranger or even cutting out the back wall and mounting it between the bed and the cab. Any help is appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forum

You could look at Explorer sport trac, it has the bed and 4 full doors with rear bench seat, its about 700lbs heavier than Ranger
Extended cab Ranger 4x4 3,600lbs
Sport Trac 4x4 4,300lbs

But yes, in a Ranger, you could pull out center console and make a seat in the middle, child's legs would be where center console was, so he/she could face forward, the standard jump seats have child facing sideways
There is really not enough room in the cab for forward facing rear seats, as is

4-door Ranger rear seat pics here: http://gtcarlot.com/data/Ford/Ranger/1999/6698195/Rear Seat-92368332.html
Same as 2 door seats fold out but face inwards

No on modifying the cab, there would be some structural issues for what you want to use it for

MXGerry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome aboard! Lots of helpful folks around here.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Good luck with search.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I know when I was building buggies... they use to make a smallish fiberglass shell bench seat. It would require you to build a roll bar hoop internally. Then brace it to the floor coming forward... then a couple cross braces and four tabs mount the seat. Add a four point harness and center it so the young ones legs come between the seats.

honda34dad

Reaction score
Ended up taking an easier route and got an ‘86 Bronco 2. Hope to get stuff from a ‘78 fullsize Bronco. Hoping to use the motor(unsure because of fit and lack of AM motor mounts), the tranny, front and rear ends, and the transfer case. Already planning to get a 2” body lift to help it fit in. Any ideas if a 3” would work better, since the 351M is a taller motor? I am not afraid of cutting metal to make some 35”-40” tires fit.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I think 3 inch is standard now days... you might find a 2 inch though.

I would suggest starting a new thread over in the off road truck forum... it will get better looks over there. Then ask all the questions you want about your build.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing the progress.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals