• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First time Ranger

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Uncle Gump, thanks for the info. If I'm reading the build guide from this site correctly, I have 4.56 gears so I should be good to go with 33', correct? I have been looking into the old torsion keys and bigger blocks. Wulf Suspension has a kit for around $300 that includes Wulf branded shocks. They also sell the same kit with Bilstein shocks for about $525. Should I go for the kit with the Billsteins?
Like your idea about getting to camping spots as my in-laws are retired and like to fish and camp and we are planning to join them some wekends.
Well... I don't know everything about these trucks... but check your axle code on the door sticker. Then bounce that off the chart in the tech section. I'm thinking you probably had 4.10 gears from the factory.

I looked at the Wulf suspension stuff when I was considering what i would do to my truck. For one... I couldn't figure out who makes the shocks for them and for two... those torsion keys are indexed even more then the earlier keys then were suggested above. I just didn't think I needed them because I was pretty set on just a 32 inch tire. The higher you go with these torsion bar suspensions... it gets harder on the front end parts. I just want to keep mine as trouble free as I can. For shocks... I chose a set of KYB MonoMax. The Bilsteins have a pretty loyal following but I went with the KYB's because I've had really good luck with their shocks and was a distributor at my dune buggy shop for 20+ years and only had two returns in all those years... and we beat the snot out of them.

hmalopez

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well... I don't know everything about these trucks... but check your axle code on the door sticker. Then bounce that off the chart in the tech section. I'm thinking you probably had 4.10 gears from the factory.

I looked at the Wulf suspension stuff when I was considering what i would do to my truck. For one... I couldn't figure out who makes the shocks for them and for two... those torsion keys are indexed even more then the earlier keys then were suggested above. I just didn't think I needed them because I was pretty set on just a 32 inch tire. The higher you go with these torsion bar suspensions... it gets harder on the front end parts. I just want to keep mine as trouble free as I can. For shocks... I chose a set of KYB MonoMax. The Bilsteins have a pretty loyal following but I went with the KYB's because I've had really good luck with their shocks and was a distributor at my dune buggy shop for 20+ years and only had two returns in all those years... and we beat the snot out of them.
That's exactly where I got the info on the gears from. Door sticker indicates R8. I'll check out the KYBs too, thanks

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Well that is why I said I didn't know everything about these trucks.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
So I just seen you post in another thread that you DO have a 4.10 gear.... where did your confusion come from?

hmalopez

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well Uncle, searching for info all over, there doesn't seem to be any definitive answer. As you can see, my door sticker shows R8 under the axle column, which after looking at the article here on the ranger station showing what the codes mean, I thought I had 4.56 gears.

So, I decided to just go ahead and crawl under the truck and look for the tag. I don't imagine anyone would convert to a higher gear. The other tag shows 75-140 synthetic only. So my question now is, does the R8 designation refer to a torsen diff?

hmalopez

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello again! It's been a while. I have since put a 3" PA body lift, 265/75/16 tires, and Helo HE971 Maxx wheels.
My issue now is the rough ride. Mainly my DD to work with the occasional trip off road. Out of Pro Comp ES9000, Rancho RS5000X, and Bilstein B6 4600, which will give me the best ride? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Did you do anything to the suspension? Or just the body lift?

Are your tires E rated?

What is the tire pressure?

I'm really happy with my KYB MonoMax shocks. But if those you listed were the choices... Bilstein

hmalopez

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you do anything to the suspension? Or just the body lift?

Are your tires E rated?

What is the tire pressure?

I'm really happy with my KYB MonoMax shocks. But if those you listed were the choices... Bilstein
Speed rating is Q. Tires are GY Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16/C 112Q. Air pressure on road is ~40psi. No suspension mods. just the BL.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I would definitely drop the air pressure... try 30psi. Maybe even chalk the tires and check tread contact. Inflate until you get full tread contact... maybe up the pressure if hauling a load.

Something else that makes a difference is the weight of the wheel and tire. I shopped hard for a package too stay as light as possible. The best I could come up with is 70lbs per corner.

hmalopez

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would definitely drop the air pressure... try 30psi. Maybe even chalk the tires and check tread contact. Inflate until you get full tread contact... maybe up the pressure if hauling a load.

Something else that makes a difference is the weight of the wheel and tire. I shopped hard for a package too stay as light as possible. The best I could come up with is 70lbs per corner.
Thanks Uncle Gump I'll try the chalk and make adjustment. Plus, I'm only guessing, but I'm pretty sure the original Ranchos are still on it. 110k miles.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It's probably time for a new set... I'm sure it couldn't hurt anything.

Truck looks good.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
@hmalopez what did you do with your stock rims? I have been trying to get my hands on a set of those for a year now? I would be willing to buy them and pay shipping, if your price is affordable? PM me of available.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals