• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First roadtrip, What do I need to do to the ranger.

HeadlandRam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As the title says, I am going on my first trip, it is gonna be around 800-1,00 miles round trip and I honestly don't know what I need to get done to make sure my truck can handle the long trip. I believe it is already reliable enough as is but I wanna be 100% sure,

I have done a tune up about a year ago, I have cleaned the air filter and just changed the oil 2 days ago. My tires are good and my brakes are good, I replaced the pads about a month ago. and as far as I know everything is Status 7

The only small issues right now is the occasional code for my Cam Position sensor, My stumbling when my a/c is on ( I already put stop leak in it and more freon and still have the issue, I know I also need to get some bigger gauge wiring for my big 3 upgrade) and a pull to the right but I have some Eccentric bushings for my radius arms I need to put on.

So What do I need to do to get ready for this long drive and y'all have any other helpful tips and tricks?

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can only prepare so much, and usually what breaks is something you don't even think of. I would just go and see what happens

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
elk hunting every year and i drive about 1000 miles round trip plus driving around while there and i have an 84 b2 with a crappy motor i do nothing but change to studs for the snow and nothing happens i know that wont happen everytime i go but so far nothing has happened and u have a newer truck so u should be fine just dont worry go and have fun if something breaks fix it while on the road

Lucifer sam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Check all fluids (including diff) bring some oil and anti freeze just in case, i would probably bring some tools.
I just went on a 700 mile trip and had my tires balanced before hand, the guy said they were pretty far out of wack. I couldnt believe the difference.
$20 well spent

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only small issue right now is the occasional code for my Cam Position sensor
If I were you, I'd replace the Cam Position Synchronizer assembly-

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
a 12v mini air compressor & a tire plug/repair kit.......................and be sure you have a working jack/lug wrench.............just in case................AND a camera--you see weird stuff on a trip....;missingteeth;

alexpmcmurphy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the best thing you can do to prepare for a road trip is pack your tools where they are the easy to get to

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Make sure your spare has air in it.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
You could change out your fuel filter of it's never been done, mine left me sorta stranded in the middle of no where on a road trip because that. Had to "blow it out" to go a while to get to the nearest town with a parts store, it took a bit, to many blink and you'll misses it Towns.

Clean your maf gently, and your icv.
Check the pcv, and take enough fluids, make sure you have a jack and jumper cables.

Keep a gallon of drinking water, you never know.

A good light for night repairs, maybe crappy set of Jeans and t for said repairs.

Make sure your Insurance and registration I'd up to date.

Plus everything these other guys have mentioned. :thumbup:

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
And avoid offroading till you get to your destination, to many things break offroad lol.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like you did everything you need to. I've taken my Ranger from OKC, OK to Central Square, NY and back for a vacation. Ranger made it just fine. Thou under powered for the hilly terrian, just had to downshift to 4th before I went below 60mph. If I hit 55mph in 4th, drop to 3rd to keep speed while climbing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals