• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First post, i got a new crate 3.0 and im taking everything off the old motor putting it on the new motor so im at the camshaft positioning synchronize

Wsewade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4in
Tire Size
31x10.5z15
I guess that was the title, so I'm at the CPS looks like a distributor without wires, I'm putting it in a new long block so I have no reference marks. I've read many threads, but I have yet to find any information, installing a CPS in a new motor. Ive tryed the 75 degree install with the positioning tool, and the sensor wont drop down on the synchronizer because it hits the intake where the plug goes. However it will fit fine at 48 degrees, and looks more like the one I took out of the core. Any information will be helpful, thanks

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
before we proceed, did you prime the engine with oil?
now is the time, stick a 5/16 or 8mm socket down that hole and turn the oil pump with a drill.
you will feel the resistance as the pump gets up to pressure. keep going for about a minute.
if the valve covers are off you will eventually see oil spill out of the rocker arms.
also, on a new engine soak/coat the gear on the bottom of the sync unit with either break in lube or regular oil.
pour some oil down the hole onto the cam gear. put a few drops on the top bushing.

now, about that sync unit.
point it at the bolt hole for the hold-down washer, then adjust it so it's still pointing at the bolt hole.

it makes no difference if the motor is new or previously used, timing is timing. it's all the same.

# 1 piston at top dead center at the end of the compression stroke.
line the tab on the shaft of the sync unit up with the bolt hole and drop it in. because the teeth are angled the tab will rotate.
note how far it rotates, lift it back out and rotate enough so it lines up when you put it back in.
turn the housing so the window is centered at the tab.

to the computer the critical part is the tab must be centered in the window at TDC because thats what locates the sensor.
the computer doesn't care in the least which way the window is pointed, it only insists there be a tab centered in that window when the piston is at TDC.
the window pointed at the bolt hole simply lines things up better with the harness and other things that get in the way.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
from a 2005 Ford Manual

Wsewade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4in
Tire Size
31x10.5z15
Just learning how to use the site, I saw the pics showing the 38 degree then i responded before I read the thread. Thanks for the educated response. It makes a lot of sense. The alignment tool that came with the sync unit holds the tab just off the center of the cut out. Would it be better if I center the tab before I tighten the hold down bolt ?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I have never used the tool for the 3.0 engine so I can't specifically comment on it. are they cheap? maybe I can get one.
I've installed several sync units by lining it up as I described. the tabs are centered in the slot when I'm finished.
and more distributors than I can remember going back to about 1969.

now I'm hearing a faint ghostly voice, keeps saying something about 180. :haha: scary, really scary

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
just checked, they're not cheap, I ain't gettin' one.

EDIT: turns out the plastic ones are cheap at Rockauto, it's the Ford & OTC ones that are expensive.

Last edited:

Wsewade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4in
Tire Size
31x10.5z15
My sync unit came with one in the box. But I bought a set of them for various applications for only $10.95. Rockauto.com. I live in a rural area, parts store is an hour away, I order everything, I get to choose what quality I want and the manufacturer. And it's all ways in stock, takes 3 to 5 days to get the parts. I'm not an advertisement but it's just a lot easier and cheaper for me.

Wsewade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4in
Tire Size
31x10.5z15
Thank you for your help, I can tell you are an encyclopedia of information with you mechanical knowledge. Not to many people out here to go to. I've got one more thing. I've got a place for two bolts and I have two bolts left, but I'm pretty sure these are not the bolts that go in these holes. The bolts are odd,
8mm with 17mm head, and the 2 holes are at the bottom of the timing chain cover I have marked. Do you know where these bolts go ?

Attachments

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I'll have to go out and look tomorrow at the bolts,,just to be sure. they do go in the lower portion of the timing cover but I want to look before say exactly where.
I did see where the tool comes with several of the sync units.
Dorman 689-117 has the sync & tool for less than the list of the OTC or Ford tools.
I'll have to check Rockauto for the alignment tools, I love buying tools that will only be used once.

I'm officially just a "tinkerer", although my massive ego tells me I'm a damn good tinkerer. :icon_thumby:
there are genuine experts on this forum, they speak up frequently.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
still too lazy to go out and look. but i did find these pics in the manual. it shows the left bolt having a big head.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
crawled under my 2000, the big headed bolts are in the left(picture) which is the passenger side bottom and next up from bottom.
so mine are both on the bottom left as you look at the engine.
note, the second hole up on each side is for the dowel pins in the block. no screws in those 2 holes.

Deiimos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here are some pics I took when doing work on my truck in December on my 2001. Not the best photos, was just a self note of where some of the bolts went in case I forgot.

But yes, the two larger bolts are on the passenger side, and a smaller one on the driver side.

Attachments

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@Wsewade If you have not yet fired up the engine, you can double check your synchronizer starting with this post and follow the links:

Wsewade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4in
Tire Size
31x10.5z15
Thanks for the info, I aligned mine by having someone rotate the crank shaft while I was watching the piston with a flashlight through the spark plug hole untill It stopped moving up, then looked at the degree marks on the balancer to see the 0 degree mark lines up with the point in the timing chain cover. Seems to be on spot. But I'll check it again with the info you have just to make sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals