• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First NEW truck, hell yeah.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it's not that much bigger than the older ones. A comparable '150 will dwarf a Ranger.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I was less than impressed with the styling when they got revealed, a lot of it had to do with the bedside/rear window height ratio. Bulbous. I dont know if it's actually grown on me or ive just gotten used to it.. but they don't look quite as goofy to me anymore. I do still wish the bedsides were a touch lower. I brought some bottles back yesterday, and the bag sitting dead center in the bed was a bit of a stretch for me to grab, even being 6'2 AND having monkey arms. An inch lower.. mabey 2.. would of been better Imo.

I'm also standing firm on my statement saying theyre much bigger than the old ones.

On paper, it doesnt seem so significant... like the difference between a B cup and a C cup... once you get your hands on though... theres quite the difference 😅

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I was less than impressed with the styling when they got revealed, a lot of it had to do with the bedside/rear window height ratio. Bulbous. I dont know if it's actually grown on me or ive just gotten used to it.. but they don't look quite as goofy to me anymore. I do still wish the bedsides were a touch lower. I brought some bottles back yesterday, and the bag sitting dead center in the bed was a bit of a stretch for me to grab, even being 6'2 AND having monkey arms. An inch lower.. mabey 2.. would of been better Imo.

I'm also standing firm on my statement saying theyre much bigger than the old ones.

On paper, it doesnt seem so significant... like the difference between a B cup and a C cup... once you get your hands on though... theres quite the difference 😅
That's with all trucks today though, they have 20+ inch wheels on some, but have the ground clearance of my 87 Ranger with 14" wheels LOL. The bed sides are higher to make up for the 1/2 ass attempt at a truck bed I guess. I can literally put the tailgate down on my 87 Ranger and step up into the bed of it, no need for a folding bed step, or a tailgate ladder LOL. I wish they'd just build trucks to be trucks instead of trying to make them into family sedans. A truck should have easy loading height access without needing a step, a ladder, or a grapple to get in and out of LOL.

You should try a D cup...sorry couldn't resist ;).

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I remember when the generation 3 ranger came out in ‘93, hated it. Ive had 3 of that generation now and its my favorite.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I remember when the generation 3 ranger came out in ‘93, hated it. Ive had 3 of that generation now and its my favorite.
I had a 93 Ranger, it was fine except the A4LD liked to self-destruct. Transmission shop did a lousy job at rebuilding it wasn't impressed with their work, must have been why they went out of business shortly thereafter. The A4LD was rebuilt in my 88 Bronco 2 almost 5 years ago, no issues with it at all, but the shop I had do the work did a great job, did all the updates to it and upgraded parts that were prone to cause failures too, so it should be good to go forever for no bigger than the Bronco 2 is, it should never fail again. I did add an auxiliary cooler to it and getting ready to do a transmission filter/fluid change here in the next few weeks as the weather straightens out so I can work outside. I'm also replacing the transmission pan with one that has a drain plug.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are pretty close to the length of an older extended cab. Wider on the outside but thanks to modern doors/crash protection they don't feel much wider on the inside (in my opinion) The mandatory full length console does not do the legroom in the department vs an older one which never had it even as an option.

A b cup is only a little work from being a d...

My truck just has a 3" bodylift and "over size" 31's, the new '19 was hot off the truck and on factory 31's.

I really wanted one for awhile, then I met rear facing car seats and I started extrapolating what was going to happen in the already almost cramped supercrew cab with a pair of car seats in the back.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yeah, but the 85 still looks better, then again I still love the old square body trucks. I think that's what makes the new Ranger looks so bloated is the way they designed them. They're wider and longer yet have a useless bed in a crew cab configuration and honestly by several accounts not as spacious of an interior as the size would lead you to believe.

The new Ranger XL with the 6 foot bed extended or super cab whatever they call them now would be my choice, in 4WD with rear locker. I think I'd just do a wheel/tire upgrade and call it good myself, keep the factory wheels as a winter tire option probably. The base model extended cab looks like it would do everything I'd really need a truck for most of the time, and I still have my 88 F250 460 4x4 long bed supercab truck in the family if I really need to tow something heavy. About all I do mostly now is maybe haul some scrap metal to the recycler occasionally, pickup building materials occasionally which the 6 foot bed would be reasonable enough for so honestly it may be in the near future, although not sure what to do with my Bronco 2 and my Ranger I have now LOL. I enjoy driving both of them, but honestly really should look into a new vehicle again soon sometimes it is nice to just jump in a vehicle and go and not really have to worry about what's going to break next LOL. Although right now my 08 Explorer is fulfilling that need pretty well, I just don't drive it most of the time because well the Bronco 2 and Ranger get driven most of the time for work as I like driving them more as they're bare bones basic LOL.

I've always just had basic no frills vehicles, my 08 Tundra was the newest vehicle I'd ever had new that had all the dang safety nancies in it and they were way too intrusive. The 08 Explorer has them too bud nothing nearly as intrusive as the Tundra at least the Explorer can get out of its own way in snow/ice, the Tundra would seriously cut all your power as you were trying to pull out of a parking lot onto the main road, first little wheel slip, nope not going anywhere, to me that was far more dangerous than a little wheel spin. I'm sure the new Rangers have the traction control, stability control stuff too, which has anyone with a new Ranger had it intrude on them, and how intrusive is it overall? I mean I don't mind it intruding if you are doing something really out of control, but when trying to get back on the road from a gas station for example and having it cut all power even in 4WD is very unnerving....when I hit the accelerator that's what I want it to do is accelerate LOL.

This Ranger really is all I'd need, just bare basic 4x4 with locking differential. Just a basic work truck, well as basic as you can get anymore LOL.

Attachments

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
You should try a D cup...sorry couldn't resist ;).
There WAS a time that the significant other wanted to "upgrade".. idk what happened to that though lol. Probably saw the price 😅

They are pretty close to the length of an older extended cab. Wider on the outside but thanks to modern doors/crash protection they don't feel much wider on the inside (in my opinion) The mandatory full length console does not do the legroom in the department vs an older one which never had it even as an option.

A b cup is only a little work from being a d...

My truck just has a 3" bodylift and "over size" 31's, the new '19 was hot off the truck and on factory 31's.

I really wanted one for awhile, then I met rear facing car seats and I started extrapolating what was going to happen in the already almost cramped supercrew cab with a pair of car seats in the back.
I'll get some pics of my truck next to a new f150 when I get back to the shop, the size difference is about the same that you pictured, for the most part.

Whats the deal with rear facing car seats? Like.. pros/cons against the regular forward facing ones?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Whats the deal with rear facing car seats? Like.. pros/cons against the regular forward facing ones?

They take up twice as much room, I think they are manditory for children under a certain weight.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is no pro/con thing for a rear facing car seat. Kids have to be rear facing until they are at least around 50lbs. The seats kill a ton of room and are akin to a clutch replacement to remove/reinstall on a whim. You will see some videos if you check it out and it won't look too bad but the angle of the recline changes by weight too. When they are little you start out with it more upright and as they get bigger/more robust you lay it down more. This is a Colorado but they are all about the same:

Ours are convertible so when they can go front facing the car seat can just be turned around.

I am waiting for someone to jump me about having in the front seat of my F-150 (airbag turned off) but it will not physically fit in the back seat (Supercab) unless I remove the front seat. I can put the seat in the middle in the back for road trips but it is a sketchy PITA to load little guy in the seat in a tall F-150 day to day. Generally if we need the truck... wife gets to ride in the back.

I daily drive an older f-150, if I was to get a new Ranger that is what it would be replacing.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Cool thanks for the info, good to know if the day comes I suppose.

Here she is compared to some newer f150, i wouldnt say its dwarfed by the full size but thats all relative anyhow.

PSA regarding stage 3 motorsports:

I ordered a muffler delete through them the day I brought the truck home, it was one of those deals where the item ships from the manufacturer. Said it would ship in 5-7 business days.

I get an email from the website 7 business days later saying the typical "thank you blah blah blah" BUT also.. they said they got in touch with aFe.. turns out what I ordered was still in production but it likely wouldn't be shipped until may.

So... they took my money for an item they didn't even know was still getting made or not. I got a refund, and am instead going to have a local shop fab me a muffler delete.

I dont think thats good business. Definitely going to affect my willingness to purchase from them in the future, which is a shame.. because they have a lot of cool stuff, and don't charge sales tax. Oh well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

View attachment 56642

Here she is compared to some newer f150, i wouldnt say its dwarfed by the full size but thats all relative anyhow.
Length and width...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo

View attachment 56642

PSA regarding stage 3 motorsports:

I ordered a muffler delete through them the day I brought the truck home, it was one of those deals where the item ships from the manufacturer. Said it would ship in 5-7 business days.

I get an email from the website 7 business days later saying the typical "thank you blah blah blah" BUT also.. they said they got in touch with aFe.. turns out what I ordered was still in production but it likely wouldn't be shipped until may.

So... they took my money for an item they didn't even know was still getting made or not. I got a refund, and am instead going to have a local shop fab me a muffler delete.

I dont think thats good business. Definitely going to affect my willingness to purchase from them in the future, which is a shame.. because they have a lot of cool stuff, and don't charge sales tax. Oh well.
Have to say Ranger VS F150, the Ranger looks better to me, maybe its because of the slight lift and tires, but the whole front end on the Ranger just looks cleaner than whatever that F150's front end is supposed to be.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have to say Ranger VS F150, the Ranger looks better to me, maybe its because of the slight lift and tires, but the whole front end on the Ranger just looks cleaner than whatever that F150's front end is supposed to be.
Agreed. Full-sizes just look so confused.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals