• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First NEW truck, hell yeah.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How many miles were on it? Mabey they use thicker material nowadays.
It was pretty thick, unconfirmed mileage guestimated around 150k when I redid the floor and put new carpet in it. Did not have cruise so probably had more wear than one that would have had cruise. I had managed to snag a set of molded Husky liners on clearance at Scheels in the late 00's so it wouldn't have had any wear after then.

After 20 years of a tan floor to go with the tan interior I couldn't bring myself to put a black vinyl floor back in it which is all I could find... so I went with carpet. With the liners for functionality there isn't much difference anyway.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Hm. Yeah mats sound like a good idea then I suppose.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
How do you keep the mats from moving around since there is no carpet nap for the mats to grip?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
How do you keep the mats from moving around since there is no carpet nap for the mats to grip?
I never seemed to have too much trouble with that in my old F150. But I would think that if you have the good mats that are contoured to fit the floor, like weathertech, that shouldn’t be an issue.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Spill a nice fresh coffee with Xtra Xtra on the floor and slap the mat down on top.. leave it in the sun all day... BAM! mat stuck to floor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never seemed to have too much trouble with that in my old F150. But I would think that if you have the good mats that are contoured to fit the floor, like weathertech, that shouldn’t be an issue.
Yeah, my Husky's never moved at all.

I am assuming the optional ones for our Bronco would have hooks to hold them in place. Either that or the build and price guy was still riding the struggle bus and it shouldn't be shown as an option on a Black Diamond.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Yeah, my Husky's never moved at all.

I am assuming the optional ones for our Bronco would have hooks to hold them in place. Either that or the build and price guy was still riding the struggle bus and it shouldn't be shown as an option on a Black Diamond.
A couple self tapping screws through the mats into the floorboard will take care of the mat moving issue. The mats in my 88 Bronco 2 move around all over the place on the carpet, but protect the floor so well worth the occasional need to reposition them. I haven't screwed mine down yet, but I've been thinking about it. Did that with my previous 84 Ranger, never had an issue with moving mats. Use self tapping screws and large fender washers, mat moving problem permanently solved, and you can easily use a shop-vac to clean the mats off.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
A couple self tapping screws through the mats into the floorboard will take care of the mat moving issue. The mats in my 88 Bronco 2 move around all over the place on the carpet, but protect the floor so well worth the occasional need to reposition them. I haven't screwed mine down yet, but I've been thinking about it. Did that with my previous 84 Ranger, never had an issue with moving mats. Use self tapping screws and large fender washers, mat moving problem permanently solved, and you can easily use a shop-vac to clean the mats off.
If you have carpet, might be better to put some adhesive backed velcro on the bottom, that way you are not creating a hole for water to leak out into the carpet.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
If you have carpet, might be better to put some adhesive backed velcro on the bottom, that way you are not creating a hole for water to leak out into the carpet.
The velcro don't do anything LOL. Tried all sorts of ideas, the velcro works maybe a few days to a week in the summer time then it just falls off. Screws are a nice permanent solution and if you run the screws through the floorboards and put some sealant over the screws no water leak problems....it leaks everywhere else anyways so having a couple extra holes in the floor isn't going to be a problem plus it creates holes for water to drain out when you drive through a mud puddle that's deeper than you thought HAHA!!! Do any of these vehicles actually have any drain plugs/holes? I've never actually thought about that in my Bronco 2 or Ranger...do the new Rangers and Broncos have anything like that? I'm sure there's probably an aftermarket solution out there I would think for these types of things?

If I get a new Ranger it won't have carpet, it'll have a vinyl floor, much easier to clean, when you live in snow/mud country carpet is a horrible idea. My 87 Ranger has the vinyl floor, very easy to keep clean. My Explorer has carpet but luckily the PO was smart enough to get good floor mats for it that covers everything pretty well, but I'd love to get Weathertech mats for it at some point.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I am not running self tappers into the floor of anything...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Yeah, I am not running self tappers into the floor of anything...
Weathertech and I think another company are the only ones that actually make molded floor mats that actually stay in place as they're molded to fit specific vehicles, expensive but really the only way to go in a newer vehicle.

Maybe some sort of retaining hooks could be installed, but once again you have to drill through the floorboards. In older vehicles some self tapping screws work just fine, the vehicle is junk and not worth anything after about 10 years anyways, so adding a few holes that are easily sealed isn't going to be any worse than all the leaks it probably already has around every door seal and window seal LOL. I swear Ford built leaks into the Bronco 2 and Ranger from the factory...hell the top on the Bronco 2 may as well have been removable as bad as the hatch and window leaks in that thing HAHA!! Not sure if they're all that way but both my 84 and my 88 leak. The 87 Ranger leaks around the doors somewhere...best leak is the one on the passenger side somewhere that leaks down where the PCM is I bet that's probably just great for the electronics, but oh well, it runs and drives...and hopefully sooner than later it and the Bronco 2 will get traded in on a new Ranger. Love driving the old stuff but really its time to get something from the current century LOL.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
With carpet, maybe use really short self-tapping screws through the matt to give it sharp studs that would just jab into the carpet and hold. Just like we were talking about studded shoes for ice the other day.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My husky liners don't move in my Ranger.

My F-150 (with carpet) has an anchor on the drivers side. My "Rocky Ridge" trays don't move on either side.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
With carpet, maybe use really short self-tapping screws through the matt to give it sharp studs that would just jab into the carpet and hold. Just like we were talking about studded shoes for ice the other day.
That might work, I think the shortest self-tappers are about 1/2 inch total length, which would be long enough to go through the mat into the carpet maybe, depending on how thick the floor mats are, may have to go slightly larger, and might want to measure to be sure, and just cut them off or grind them down to the right length, just use the self-tapping feature to initially go through the mat and carpet, then cut or grind them to length that way they don't penetrate through the floor board.

These older vehicles I'm not sure if any of the companies like Weather Tech actually make any mats to fit them anymore but newer vehicles I think have retaining clips on the floor to hold the mats, at least a lot of the ones I've seen do, kind of nice.

Josiah Morgan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
the bank was gracious enough to let me take this home today..

View attachment 55632

'21 XL 4x4, stx, tow package, locking diff, carpet, rubber mats, cruise control.. all that I wanted and a bit more (sorry wallet)

Got them to include a 2.5" level which they ordered today. Hopefully the end of the week / the beginning of next it will get installed.

About to order some tires and an exhaust, of course (again wallet.. sorry)
You give this truck a new home during the winter season. Congratulation and have fun with your new toy!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals