• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Gen Loose Tilt Wheel Fix

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Difficulty:2/10 This is really simple, just removing items and putting them back in the exact location they came from.

Time to install: 15-20 min, depends on who you are. I work slow so i took me a little longer, plus my steering wheel nut was stripped so i had to go buy a new one. But for the average person, it shouldn't take long.

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation:

When i bought my 1985 Bronco II back in 2009, i didn't even know it had a tilt column. Poking around i found it did. The steering wheel has always been loose, i just attributed it to being old. But it came to my attention after a little searching that the reason it is loose is because of two bolts hidden with in the column, and all i had to do was find them and tighten them.

Tools Needs:
Pulley Puller/Steering Wheel puller
Long #2 Philips head Screw Driver
24mm, 13mm and 14mm socket (I used a 1/2", as the only 24mm socket i had was for a 1/2" drive ratchet)
1/2" ratchet (see above for reason for large ratchet)
Red Loctite
Paper Tower and Degreaser or some other type of spray cleaner.

1. Remover the front cover of the steering wheel. There are two philips head screws on the back of the steering wheel.

2. Remove the two Philips head screws on the bottom of the steering column. This is where you need the long screw driver as they are recessed quite a bit. They are in the whole circled in red in the picture below.

3. Flip the front of the steering wheel over the back, no need to remove any of the wires.

Use the 24mm socket on the ratchet to remove the nut holding the steering wheel on, mine was quite loose but other might be tight still from the factory, and attach you puller and use it to remove the steering wheel.

You should be left with this after the steering wheel has come off.

4. Remove the two philips head screws on the metal plate after removing the steering wheel. With them removed the top and bottom covering of the steering column should come right off. Next, there is 3 wires coming off the small brown fixture on the metal plate, the wires are pushed into a metal prong with a grommet around the wires. This need to be undone to get the blue collar off the steering shaft (don't think this is necessary to do, but it give you more space).

5. With all that removed, we next need to take of the multi function switch. This was held on by 2 philips head screws (circled in red in picture below). When removed it come right off. I unplugged the top plug to get more room, you don't have to.

6. The two bolts in the last picture is what we are after. They will become loose over time and cause you column to jiggle. Use the 13mm socket, tighten them both just slightly snug. Then remove one at a time. Using the paper towels and cleaner, clean the bolt, apply red loctite and put it back in and tighten tight. Repeat with other bolt. DO NOT REMOVE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, IT CAN MESS UP THE ALIGNMENT!

7. Put it back together the way it came apart, and enjoy your non wiggly steering wheel/column :icon_thumby:

I hope this is helpful, i know it seems like a simple thing to do, but there are lots of people on here that don't do serious wrenching and are just looking for simple fixes to common problems. Also seems quite helpful to those passerbys.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I heard about this fix a few years ago from AllenD. IMO this is a common problem with the first gens and very worthy of being in the tech library.

I also put up with it for many moons thinking the column was worn, I wish I had known about it sooner.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
nice.. I've already done this to mine. Never even thought about doing a writeup lol

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I heard about this fix a few years ago from AllenD. IMO this is a common problem with the first gens and very worthy of being in the tech library.

I also put up with it for many moons thinking the column was worn, I wish I had known about it sooner.
Yeah, i just thought it was normal for a car this age and just shrugged it off. The only thing i could find on it was that post by AllenD. I should include him in the writeup.

nice.. I've already done this to mine. Never even thought about doing a writeup lol
Yeah, I couldn't find very much info about it on here, so I thought why not make it more readily available.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
do you actually need to remove the wheel? im pretty sure you can get the multifunction switch off with the wheel still on, and the hardware in question is just behind that switch...

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
do you actually need to remove the wheel? im pretty sure you can get the multifunction switch off with the wheel still on, and the hardware in question is just behind that switch...
You might be able too, I didn't look to see of you could. This is just the way I did it, other people may do it differently

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Lynelle412

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Transmission
Manual
thanks for sharing informative post with us..
keep posting with us..

Last edited:

chandymanusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey just did mine. Took about 15-20 mins and you do not have to remove the steering wheel if you have tilt. this fix was super easy. Have a great day.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I was thinking the same. I replaced the multi-function switch sometime last year and didn't need to pull the wheel.

I was looking for what was loose at the time. I am thinking I tightened those bolts as there was some looseness. I think it helped but I still have a small amount. Maybe it was something else I tightened.

About 15 minutes sounds right, no wheel off, no puller needed.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
@svtcards

Here's another thread on the tilt column that I happened across by accident.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals