• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First gen factory trim

Kenobi77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Currently have a 1986 4x4 I’m considering getting painted. Has the factory trim which has seen better days. Looked around online for reproductions, or even anything remotely close to the original trim, and found nothing. Relatively new to this scene so pardon my ignorance, but seriously, nobody produces anything at least similar? I’d like to hear what you guys have done in a situation like this. The junkyards around my area are crap and I’d rather not try my luck with them.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi welcome to the ranger group.

what type of trim are you seeking? the stuff around the wheel wells? badges? or ...??

Kenobi77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
hi welcome to the ranger group.

what type of trim are you seeking? the stuff around the wheel wells? badges? or ...??
Hi there. I’m looking for the body molding, like in this picture. I apologize for not being able to scale it down.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

If they are moldings then I would think you just need to look through all the moldings available that are aftermarket to match it.

If it is actual trim you may have to recondition it yourself. It will be long hours and time consuming but well worth it in the end. how to recondition metal body trim - Google Search

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The only thing I see in that picture is an added line just below the factory metal body line. That part is most likely a dealer added part that was double stick taped on. It was probably bought in sticks when new and cut to size. Never seen anything like it on a Ranger before.

Something similar can be bought in rolls now...

Reactions: gaz

Kenobi77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Necro-replying to my own thread here.

Thanks for the welcomes and the replies. I’ve been terrible at getting on this site consistently until recently.
If they are moldings then I would think you just need to look through all the moldings available that are aftermarket to match it.

If it is actual trim you may have to recondition it yourself. It will be long hours and time consuming but well worth it in the end. how to recondition metal body trim - Google Search
Yeah, they’re plastic moldings. The only metal trim on my truck is on the bottom of the body, like in the picture.

The only thing I see in that picture is an added line just below the factory metal body line. That part is most likely a dealer added part that was double stick taped on. It was probably bought in sticks when new and cut to size. Never seen anything like it on a Ranger before.

Something similar can be bought in rolls now...
That’s what I thought, being dealer-added. Definitely double-stick taped. I had to pull a piece off before it would’ve flown off on the highway. I can get pictures of the trim and residue left behind, if you’d like.

It’s interesting because the driver’s side has had the trim replaced with parts-store Cowles trim; obvious because I can see how wavy it is going down the body, and that I can clearly see the unevenness of the scissor cuts. The original trim on the passenger side is straight all the way down (and no scissor cuts). Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about…

I have tried to match the trim to new stuff, but all the ones out there are basic semi-circle shape, whereas the original is basically a right triangle. Can’t find anything like that, shape or width-wise.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Reading the 1986 sales brochure, they are factory on the "Deluxe Two Tone"
Capture.JPG

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Reading the 1986 sales brochure, they are factory on the "Deluxe Two Tone"
View attachment 101914
I concur, dealers may have added them too (both OE and aftermarket) but it is in the brochure.

My only suggestion is patience and keep trolling on ebay for NOS stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals