• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Gen 1988 Ranger 4x4 302 Auto

Jcell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’ll jump right in with my questions: When using a 96-97 donor explorer with the 5.0, will it be possible to:
  • Keep using the explorers auto trans?
  • Maintain 4x4?
  • Not have to lift the truck as I’ve seen might be required?
  • How will the 4x4 from the ranger play with the awd set up of the explorer? What I’m not understanding is if these are separate systems?
My mechanic, who will be performing the swap, has traditionally done 5.0s in rangers, but just gone with 2wd and manual transmissions. For reasons, I want to maintain the original character of the truck, just with and engine that fits more with highway driving.

I realize that there is a plethora of knowledge on this forum regarding these swaps, and I have poured through as much of it as I could, but I haven’t found specific simple answers to these questions.

About a year and a half ago, when I joined the union, I bought this 1988 ranger extended cab as a daily driver. It’s given me my fair share of headaches, but my wife and I really love the truck, and plan on keeping it for the foreseeable future.

If it’s simply not possible to maintain 4x4 or the auto in any easy way, well so be it. Maybe I’ll rebuild the fragile 2.9 for a little more pep and just call it a day. This car will be used, not as an exclusive daily driver, but as one occasionally.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
All wheel drive is similar to an open diff in that your transfer case supplies power to both front and rear but will send all power to which ever end slips a tire. A 4wheel drive transfer case in 4H Or 4L sends power to both front and rear regardless of either end have a tire slipping.
I’m unfamiliar with the awd in the explore and it may have a 4w mode that locks the tcase
In either case. They are different types of drive systems and only 1 can be installed at a time.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Jcell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the explanation. I went down the rabbit hole this weekend and despite the fact that I had my heart set on the 302, I think I’m going to opt for rebuilding/modding my 2.9 for a little more power and reliability instead. Saving myself from the cost and headache of dealing with wiring and the swap itself is well worth the loss in power. Plus, I think I’ll learn something along the way.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
How about going to a 4.0L with a carb?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals