• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First 2019 off the line

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I saw that too.
I just checked the PTS for info, but the shop manuals have no been published to the site yet. The 19 Ranger is available as a vehicle to select from the list, but no documents yet.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just checked the PTS for info, but the shop manuals have no been published to the site yet. The 19 Ranger is available as a vehicle to select from the list, but no documents yet.
Not surprising.

They have released nothing of the powertrain aside from that it will have a 2.3EB, 10spd automatic and at least one Dana axle.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Good call, i forgot about the taco.

Either way, i hope if they do offer a stick, its a proper stick. With a clutch and gears capable of being ground. Not some paddle shifted thing or auto with manual mode.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good call, i forgot about the taco.

Either way, i hope if they do offer a stick, its a proper stick. With a clutch and gears capable of being ground. Not some paddle shifted thing or auto with manual mode.
The currently listed transmission has a +/- thing on the side of the shifter to manually shift it. :3gears:

blksn8k

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
People who work at MAP (Michigan Assembly Plant, Wayne, MI) say those two trucks were not built on any "line". There is a pilot plant but it is in Allen Park. Both trucks were built at MAP mostly by hand.

My guess is they either used pre-assembled cabs from another T6 plant and then added prototype 2019 North American parts from various sources or, more likely, they just disassembled completed T6's and replaced what they needed to with prototype 2019 North American body parts. That would explain why one of them might have a manual trans.

Probably checking fit and finish of the new body parts on the current cab. From what I have seen there doesn't seem to be any major changes to the basic cab structure although Ford has stated that they were cleaning up panel gaps so that might mean new doors as well.

MAP is still building the Focus until May.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not surprising.

They have released nothing of the powertrain aside from that it will have a 2.3EB, 10spd automatic and at least one Dana axle.
I know. I might be able to get more info from the new model training, but I don't know if I still have access to that part of the system.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
People who work at MAP (Michigan Assembly Plant, Wayne, MI) say those two trucks were not built on any "line". There is a pilot plant but it is in Allen Park. Both trucks were built at MAP mostly by hand.

My guess is they either used pre-assembled cabs from another T6 plant and then added prototype 2019 North American parts from various sources or, more likely, they just disassembled completed T6's and replaced what they needed to with prototype 2019 North American body parts. That would explain why one of them might have a manual trans.

Probably checking fit and finish of the new body parts on the current cab. From what I have seen there doesn't seem to be any major changes to the basic cab structure although Ford has stated that they were cleaning up panel gaps so that might mean new doors as well.

MAP is still building the Focus until May.
http://www.therangerstation.com/the-1st-2019-ford-ranger-rolls-off-the-line/

:icon_thumby:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The currently listed transmission has a +/- thing on the side of the shifter to manually shift it. :3gears:
Guess those are eaiser to use when you got a phone in one hand and a mocha latte in the other :rolleyes:

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't Ford say that there were new dies for the sheet metal (belt lines are subtly changed) and new (North American) suppliers for a lot of the parts?

While I don't work for Ford, I do work for a mfg company and have designed for competitors.

In between design stop and volume production is a bunch of small new product introduction batches where tooling and jigs are finalized and assembly documentation created. Usually done some where other than the volume plant. Which fits with these 2 Rangers.

Depending on what is being concentrated on/what is ready, trucking a 1/2 finished RoW Ranger from Mexico might meet the needs. And RoW Ranger would be as likely to have manual as not.

On other have the Getrag MT-82 from the Mustang bolts to the 2.3EB and has reasonable ratio spread. (no double OD, so you would probably be looking at 3.31 axles*, but we can fix that later).

*CAFE comes before performance.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the main carcass of the truck is the same as a ROWT. Tailgate is aluminum, not sure about the ROWT.

I think they just cut the fascia down enough to get a steel bumper below it and slightly restyled the hood is about it for body changes. They played with the suspension and the frame to mount said bumper.

As far as reusing ROW parts for prototypes, the trucks on display in Detroit had banjo style rear axles (like ROW trucks) rather than the Salisbury style that the spyphotos show taken from trucks driving around. They were very adamant not to take photos of the undersides of the trucks because the production trucks will be different than the display trucks. So as far as "prototypes" go, it is cool but don't put a ton of faith into it being 100% the way it is going to be.

On other have the Getrag MT-82 from the Mustang bolts to the 2.3EB and has reasonable ratio spread. (no double OD, so you would probably be looking at 3.31 axles*, but we can fix that later).

If everyone else can do it with cruder engines I don't think that would be a deal breaker. What would be is if it is worth it for Ford to develop a transmission. MT82 would be a good start... gotta make it 4wd though and the ratios will probably need played with all of which takes $$.

Manual Tacos are SCARCE, I am not sure how Toyota pencils out keeping them in production. And yet they are still cheaper than an automatic which defies all logic when some people will travel all over the country to get "the one".

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Didn't Ford say that there were new dies for the sheet metal (belt lines are subtly changed) and new (North American) suppliers for a lot of the parts?

While I don't work for Ford, I do work for a mfg company and have designed for competitors.

In between design stop and volume production is a bunch of small new product introduction batches where tooling and jigs are finalized and assembly documentation created. Usually done some where other than the volume plant. Which fits with these 2 Rangers.

Depending on what is being concentrated on/what is ready, trucking a 1/2 finished RoW Ranger from Mexico might meet the needs. And RoW Ranger would be as likely to have manual as not.

that is exactly what the pilot plant does. complete assembly lines are setup and tested for all new vehicles there. been that way for decades.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If everyone else can do it with cruder engines I don't think that would be a deal breaker. What would be is if it is worth it for Ford to develop a transmission. MT82 would be a good start... gotta make it 4wd though and the ratios will probably need played with all of which takes $$.

Manual Tacos are SCARCE, I am not sure how Toyota pencils out keeping them in production. And yet they are still cheaper than an automatic which defies all logic when some people will travel all over the country to get "the one".
You're just in wrong part of world: Come here to Calgary - >25% of stock is manual Tacos (at moment, closest dealership has 6 of 13 in manuals). The funny part for me - the salesmen/women can't drive them to the door; we have to walk out to where they are on the lot and I drive'm.

Ford doesn't have to make the manual a 4wd; we just want that. (The Canyon/Colorado only come 4x2 with manual) MT-82 ratios are actually pretty close to those of the Tacos' manual - 1st is 4.24 vs 4.17, 6th is .70 vs 0.85. All the pieces for a manual Ranger exist (except maybe the correct length driveshaft), but is it worth the integration and certification cost?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're just in wrong part of world: Come here to Calgary - >25% of stock is manual Tacos (at moment, closest dealership has 6 of 13 in manuals). The funny part for me - the salesmen/women can't drive them to the door; we have to walk out to where they are on the lot and I drive'm.

Ford doesn't have to make the manual a 4wd; we just want that. (The Canyon/Colorado only come 4x2 with manual) MT-82 ratios are actually pretty close to those of the Tacos' manual - 1st is 4.24 vs 4.17, 6th is .70 vs 0.85. All the pieces for a manual Ranger exist (except maybe the correct length driveshaft), but is it worth the integration and certification cost?
I had to look out west to find a TRD Offroad with any kind of regularity when I was poking around looking at them earlier this year. Seemed to be a common theme on tacomaworld too.

Ranger gearing has not been released but Tacos are geared pretty deep.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I was under the impression there would be no manual option? Atleast thats one thing they got right
Probably no manual at all, still have to import a ranger if you want a manual.

It'll be interesting to see how things go. Even the ads are saying only a 10 speed automatic and that's on the Ford site. I'd hope they would give a manual option, pretty boring truck without a manual transmission....and who the heck needs 10 gears, damn transmission will take-up the whole underside of the truck LOL.

Wonder what fuel tank size(s) there will be?

Has anyone been able to sit in the back seat of the 4 door? Is it roomy enough for adults?

Are we just getting another Ford Explorer Sport Trac? Looks to me like that's exactly what's going to happen just by seeing the pictures, it looks like the Explorer with a truck bed once again :(.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Guess those are eaiser to use when you got a phone in one hand and a mocha latte in the other :rolleyes:
HAHA, yep. Exactly what I was thinking as well. Heaven forbid people had to put their phones down and actually drive...anymore you just have to steer and press the gas and brake pedals, pretty boring, and they wonder why people fall asleep while driving LOL...keep a manual tranny and that'll keep them awake and less apt to be playing on their phone. Keeps them plenty busy in traffic, no time to pickup the phone they'll be shifting gears.

I don't mind automatics, but just far more fun driving a manual equipped vehicle.

The Tacoma still has the manual option but very limited in certain configurations. This ended in 2017 apparently as I just tried every configuration on the Toyota site and no matter what you chose you are stuck with an automatic. Also, they released a TRD Offroad Pro model this year and its $40k+...totally ridiculous for 1/2 a truck...this is exactly the reason I bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra in 2008 rather than a Tacoma, the price difference between the 2 was only $1800, and the Tacoma only offers a V6, and gets dismal fuel economy and they didn't have anything other than the 5-1/2 foot bed in the Tacoma available on the lot, at least with the Tundra I got the 5.7L V8 a 6-1/2' bed and the same fuel economy that 4.0L V6 was getting. These 1/2 size trucks are so ridiculously priced they don't sell as many which is done purposely to get people to buy the full size trucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals