• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finding speaker depth is hard...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For years I've had two speakers per door in my '90, the back speakers are in the vent area, was already cut out when I got the thing so I'm not the first to do it... The problem is speaker depth, I had some walmart special speakers for a number of years but they're 1/2" too deep and the window hits them when about 2" from the bottom, I broke a drivers window a few years ago and don't feel like repeating the process... I need speakers that are 1 3/4" depth but I've only found a couple speakers on amazon that even mention the depth... I saw one labeled as shallow but they were like $130 a pair! I haven't clicked on anything over $45 though... all the questions on Amazon are DUMB and reviews are near as dumb :). Any good suggestions? it doesn't "need" 4 speakers, it just sounds better...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Might be easier to use a spacer to bring the deep speakers out where they will clear. Shallower speakers of the same diameter would most likely lose some sound quality anyway. Shape does matter.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
There's not a lot of room in the door panel in that area, I thought about spacing them out, I found some that say they're 2" deep and might go that way and space them out 1/4" which would probably work, but the speakers I have are 2 1/4" (and the one I have out looks fried, cone is crooked at the magnet...) so anything helps... it's just frustrating that dimensions aren't listed... and people ask questions on items from Amazon like "how long to ship" or 18 different people asking if they'll fit a '98 F150 for whatever reason... or the vast majority of stuff not having any description at all, and my favorite part of the description that is on many speakers : "recommended uses for product: polypropylene"

I'm not too worried about sound quality in the back of the door, it points right at the seat base, just trying to get a little more bass without using up all the space behind the seat like I've done before when I had a 10" woofer and 1000 watt amp...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My 87 I had a couple loose 6x9 speakers with only a grill on front, which I leaned against the cab behind the seats, I do not recall ever fastening them, they rode there the whole time

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Does Crutchfield list mounting depth? I thought they provided that info.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
scotts90ranger ,
I recommend just use the speakers in the front; a simple 3 speaker system can sound very good (1 pair of coaxials in front and one sub in the rear). If that isn't practical, then just use the single pair in the front; those speakers firing directly into the seat are only adding a little bass, the rest is getting attenuated by the seat

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I've good luck with specifics on fleabay. Their search engine is a little better than amazon if you ask me. just fiddle with the search words. Also when not listed in description details, I'll message the seller asking for whatever specs or dimensions, and usually get a prompt response.

IME Amazon is the HF of internet. Lots of chinesium.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Crutchfield is helpful, nothing cheap is shallow which makes sense, I'll take the easy way out and just get a pair of cheap 6" since they seem to be under 2" deep... it's not like they're going in perfect holes, it's hacked down there... need to get me some new panel clips too, mine are fried...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ordered some 6" Kenwood speakers yesterday, should have them Saturday...

I know I won't gain a lot of sound with them, but it's wired and for $30 I can have speakers there so why not... my logic doesn't always make sense :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Got the new speakers, neither of the old speakers could have been doing anything, pretty sure both had sheared voice coils from the windows hitting the magnets over the years... The shallower 6" speakers fit fine, I put a protective layer of two layers of gorilla tape on the glass in case they contact over bumps... Didn't drive anywhere but the sound is nice and clear and there's lots of it! When I was doing the passenger side speaker I looked over and I'm pretty sure the speaker is higher than you think, pretty sure it's right at hip level...

Oh, and put in 5 new panel clips on the drivers side and 4 on the passenger side (there was one in the door so I just pulled the one I put in the panel, was lazy...), should be less rattles now!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals